Odor / Stink From New Direct Vent Natural Gas Fireplace After 30 Hours Of Burning - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Odor / Stink from new direct vent natural gas fireplace after 30 hours of burning

Hi,

We have a new Majestic direct vent natural gas fireplace. (Majestic CDVR33 Natural Gas)

After burning it at least 30 hours continuously it is still emitting terrible chemical odor. The odor is smells so toxic we do not operate when we are in the home.

We had a gas fireplace in our previous home. It produced a burning dust smell for 30 minutes at the start of the winter season. After that there was no smell or stink for the remainder of the season.

The fireplace was professionally installed.

Recently we had an independent professional gas fireplace installer/service person with 20 years experience attempt to locate the stink. He checked everything. (Cleaned everything, checked for gas leak, checked for CO, checked the venting, and checked for anything to close to the fire box.) He said the odor is coming from the fireplace.

We had numerous people come to our home and they all agree the burning plastic/chemical odor is not normal.

When we ran it over night on two separate occasions, even with three windows open, we both woke up feeling congested.

We have two CO / gas detectors in the room with the fireplace. Both detectors have only ever had readings of 0%.

Please provide suggestions to eliminate this odor.

Thank you.

Advertisement

cnauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,280

Odor / Stink from new direct vent natural gas fireplace after 30 hours of burning

how did you insulate and/or trim the exhaust/intake?

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

Unknown. It was installed by a contractor.

Could this be causing the toxic stink?
Old 01-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnauta View Post
Unknown. It was installed by a contractor.
Could this be causing the toxic stink?
Quote:
Recently we had an independent professional gas fireplace installer/service person with 20 years experience attempt to locate the stink. He checked everything. (Cleaned everything, checked for gas leak, checked for CO, checked the venting, and checked for anything to close to the fire box.) He said the odor is coming from the fireplace.
Does the smell go ever go away? Like when you turn it off?
If it isn't *IN* the furnace... that leaves what's AROUND the furnace.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 632

Remove the fake logs and try it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
how

Rewards Points: 616

Did you buy the fireplace and have an installer put it in or did a contracter arrange this all for you? This would be when I'd be saying this is not what I paid for if it was through a contractor. Fix it or replace it.
If you have "0" CO then the smell is unlikely to be coming from the internal side of the fireplace ( the side where the gas burns and is transported out of your house). That puts the smell that's being created somewhere on the outside of that sealed shell. I've seen the smell of accidently melted plastic or rubber last a year on appliances that get run everyday.

Last edited by how; 01-14-2012 at 04:53 PM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,022

CO is odorless so it wouldn't be that.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,486

Dead critter, or neighbor has been shoving crap into the intake.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #9

Lightbulb

Thanks for all the ideas. Please keep them coming.

Additional information: The chemical stink occurs only when the gas fireplace is starts. The stink starts within a few minutes and lingers for long after the fireplace is turned off. There is no chance the odor is coming from anything other source.

I will try removing the fake logs and fibers.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #10

Also: I actually just bought this house from the person who built it. (I had a home inspection completed.)

This is making it more complex to strong arm the contractor/supplier into fixing the fireplace.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
how

Rewards Points: 616

If you are not getting any CO into the home from the fire place ( And it was tested with a descent meter that is recalibrated yearly) then that tells you that all the products of combustion are going outside where they should. That would include anything ( smelly) within the combustion chamber and venting.
The source will be something melting or melted on the outside of the sealed majestic combustion chamber and venting that can access your house air and be detectable to you.
This doesn't fix your problem but it eliminates some places to search.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #12

I am having the same problem with the same fireplace. Did you try it without the logs? I even took the logs out and put them into the oven and set the clean oven setting and they still smell. I have burned them for hours and the smell continues. Majestic was no help when I did get them on the line. I am thinking of replacing the logs and hope that corrects the problem. Was there a smell when you burned it without the logs?

thanks
SIG39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #13

SIG39:

The stink cannot be coming from the logs since it is vented outside. I had a professional test around the interior of the house and zero air from inside the fireplace is making it into the house. (Zero products of combustion are entering the house.) It would not matter how stinky the logs are, I could not smell it inside the house.

The stink is coming from the outside of fire chamber. Something is melting on the exterior of the fireplace when it is running. Looked in the wall with a camera and there is nothing obvious touch the shell, such as insulation or plastic.

I burnt it once more for three days straight. Still a terrible chemical stink. I am planning to rip this fireplace out this year and install new non-Majestic model.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #14

thanks! I won't have to take my logs out and try it. I guess we will have to buy a new one too.
SIG39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

Are either of you able to see what kind of sealant was used to attach the vent to the firebox? High temp sealant must be used, so if they used anything else, that could be your source. You'd probably have to remove some dry wall to see the vent connection.,

Advertisement

hvac benny is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac benny For This Useful Post:
cnauta (10-15-2012)

Tags
direct gas fireplace , fireplace , odor , smell , stink