Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #1

Share |

Nutone Range Hood

I have a 2 year old Nutone Whispaire range hood.

http://www.nutone.ca/product-detail.asp?ProductID=981

As soon as you turn it on, fan makes a loud continuous humming noise. Noise gets louder as you turn down fan speed.

As soon as you turn it off, noise stops immediately, and fan spins to a stop in about 15-20 seconds. I have cleaned everything, and the noise still continues. Any thoughts on the problem??
Attached Images

Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
Whatamess

Nutone Range Hood

Sounds like you need to remove the motor and examine on the work bench. If you get it on the bench and need help with dis-assembly post a picture and someone can talk you through it.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #3

Nutone Range Hood

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but I'm having a similar problem with exactly the same range hood.

Trouble started a few weeks back, when the fan started making a lot of noise. Not the humming noise the original poster talks about, but more of a growly type noise from the fan. Eventually, the fan stopped working altogether; the motor would hum like it was getting power, but the fan wouldn't turn unless you started it spinning with your hand, but even then, it would never get up to full speed.

So, assuming the motor was toast, I ordered a new one from the local parts place. Installed it, but it initially didn't want to spin on its own either.

I discovered that if I tugged down gently on the fan, it would run okay (as if when I pressed the fan onto the new motor, something was rubbing; there's a bit of play in the motor shaft). Then I left it alone for a bit, came back in the kitchen, turned on the fan, and again, it wouldn't work. It's like it only wants to work when it's warmed up.

Did I get another bad motor? Or is the problem in the switch? The fan control is an infinitely variable one, where the speed can be set to anywhere between the high and low settings.

Sorry for the wordy first post. Any suggestions?
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote