Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Novel Way to increase effeciency of portable Air conditioner Tell me what you think

Ok HVAC engineers here is a good one. I am pretty familiar with the basics physics of a air conditioner. I had a novel idea for my dual hose air conditioner to greatly increase the effeciency of the unit. This may not work in extremly high temperature and humidity but I live in Utah and it only gets hot, not humid. I want to hook up a 4" inline duct fan to incease the flow along the condenser hopefully cooling them off more than the unit can do itself. I am thinking that pushing air into the intake hose should be better than pulling air from the exhaust. Tell me what you think. I cannot forsee any problems with the portable ac unit and an inline fan uses very little power.

This may be a cheap 15 dollar way to make the portable ac unit work as effeciently as a window one and since the fan will be outside there should be little increase the the noise.

macmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #2

Novel Way to increase effeciency of portable Air conditioner Tell me what you think

How will you check if it increases efficiency? AC power draw? Time to reach the setpoint?

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
How will you check if it increases efficiency? AC power draw? Time to reach the setpoint?
Time to reach set point. But I really want to know if there could be unforeseen problems with doing this
Old 05-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmini View Post
Time to reach set point. But I really want to know if there could be unforeseen problems with doing this
This might give you a quantitative answer
http://www.google.com/custom?domains...D%3A1%3B&hl=en
but a Peltier junction might be better.
You might want to experiment first with ice packs to get some idea of the return you'll get for the effort and watts you put in.

The problem is, if mods shorten the life of the unit, how would you know, unless it failed immediately?

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-24-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #5

That is what I am trying to figure out. Could forcing more air cause problems at the evaporator end? Or since the difference would be insignificant for the air conditioner. I know cooling with water can "over Cool" the condenser but i doubt more air would cause a difference. Also I am trying to keep it cheap and efficient and inline fans would are both. I am not expecting to get out of this world results but I would not mind increasing the efficiency by 10%. So the question stands I can damage it by doing this?
Old 05-25-2009, 05:58 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 62

So when its milder outside. but you stll need A/C. Are you going to remove the fan. Since running it would move too much air and over cool the condenser.
And leaving it installed, but not running, would reduce air flow.

If you have a 9,000BTU portable. Is 900 extra BTUs worth it.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote