Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 302

Not sure about these compressor ohm readings

Packaged A/C-only unit, Carrier - 23 years old, for a single-wide mobile home.

Compressor is pulling 11.5 A. Can't read data plate on outside of cabinet for compressor spec. Blower motor is pulling about 2.5A - data plate on this motor: 2.7 A, but blower motor will not start on its own, but will with a push. Blower motor capacitor spec (on cap) is 370vac/7.5 uF. This cap measures 7.02 uF.

When I opened up this unit, evap. coil was iced up. Cleaned coil - still ices up after I give blower motor a push and let it run. Motor is getting 240v. I also hear a bearing noise after blower motor speed has slowed down quite a bit (after system being turned off). Correct me if I'm wrong, but blower motor appears to need replacement*. As I mentioned, blower motor is getting 240v when measured at cap common terminal and relay terminal. *unless wires feeding the blower motor are bad, but judging by their wire ends at capacitor and relay, looked fine to me.

I installed new contactor and dual run capacitor: 35/5 uf, 370vac. Also went thru all wiring connections - cleaned all quick disconnects or made new ones, including connections at compressor (cleaned only - didn't need new ones here). Comp. terminals were in very good condition.

I figured the icing up was due to low R-22, but don't have guages yet.

Ohms check was S-C: 2.2; R-C: .8; S-R: 2.5 . Acceptable?

justplumducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 562

To me no. Readings should add up evenly. Like 5 ohm+ 5 ohm,=10 ohm.

Last edited by bobelectric; 06-30-2013 at 05:13 PM.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,716

May have a shunt in windings. I prefer to test the cap under load on cases where the motor runs, but doesn't run properly.

Testing by meter can give a false reading of it being good.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
May have a shunt in windings.
You were talking about the compressor ohms readings here, and saying my comp. readings could be ok?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I prefer to test the cap under load on cases where the motor runs, but doesn't run properly.
How do you do that?
Old 06-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplumducky View Post
You were talking about the compressor ohms readings here, and saying my comp. readings could be ok?
How do you do that?
I thought you took the ohm readings of the fan motor.

2652 times the amp reading of the start winding, divided by the voltage reading across the capacitor.

EG: .9 amps, 332 volts across cap.

2652 times .9 equals 2386.8
2386.8 divided by 332 equals 7.18 uF.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #6

Yepper - sorry - I started to explain (then didn't) that I may have muddied the waters (the way I posted all that) by not explaining that it was the compressor ohm readings at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

2652 times the amp reading of the start winding, divided by the voltage reading across the capacitor.

EG: .9 amps, 332 volts across cap.

2652 times .9 equals 2386.8
2386.8 divided by 332 equals 7.18 uF.
Ok, you're saying that is the calculated, actual uF output of the cap vs. a possible erroneous meter reading.

Whaddya make of those compressor ohms readings: S-C: 2.2; R-C: .8; S-R: 2.5 - Acceptable? Close enough? Just never saw readings before where the S-R totaled less than the other two, so was wondering. But then I've only done a relative few.

Comp. was pulling 11.5 A. Couldn't read the cabinet's data plate for the comp. amps spec., but guessed that might be in the neighborhood, especially if R-22 were a bit low.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

May have some minor oil break down/losing its dialectic properties. Or he winding insulation is getting thin. Nothing that is too terrible.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #8

Thank you beenthere - have a good night!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #9

Went back to this blower motor that wouldn't start without a push and installed new 7.5 uf, 370vac cap on the two brown wires (multi-speed motor), and nothing - not even trying to move the wheel. 240vac at motor's white lead on cap "C" and fan relay (black wire from motor).

I did an ohms check between the two brown wires (one with white stripe) from motor to single capacitor: bouncing around between 3 MegOhms and 12 MegOhms (occasionally up to OL), but after watching a youtube video, the correct way to ohms check the start winding is from black to solid brown wire?

Last edited by justplumducky; 07-01-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Yes..