Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

nordyne e2eb-015ha blower motor

the motor is part of a 902993 blower assembly....

last night, i awoke to the smell of what appeared to be heater elements burning, and the smoke detector going off. come find out, the smell is coming from the blower moto, so i shut it down. now this morning, after a few hours tinkering, this is what i have determined-

the coil was dirty, causing excess condensate to drain off into the blower assembly. some components in the 3 stack sequencer also got wet, but i dont think there are any issues with the sequencer... i just dont know for sure.

i was able to bypass all the motor controls and apply straight 240 to the high speed leg, the medium speed leg, and the low speed leg, which was unused anyways.
when voltage was applied to either the high speed, or the medium speed, this is what occurred-
the motor runs for approx 120 secs and then quits. it frame of the motor is also getting hot...

was wondering if the motor is shot, the cap is shot, or the sequencer is shot.

the same thing occurs whether or not i apply straight voltage to the motor, or let the unit operate as normal.

any suggestions?

im desperate, its 102, i dont have 1200 for a contractor, but i can shell out up to 500 on parts, but im afraid that if i buy a new motor it wont fix the problem. i got the coil clean now, but with no fan, its not doing me much good.

any troubleshooters out there? im more of an install guy.....

jhw3_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 38

Sounds like 2 speeds of the motor may be or have got energized at the same time. If it heats up that quickly it is not likely the capacitor. That will cause it to run at half speed and take longer to heat up. You can check the capacitor mfds with a meter. Try disconnect all the motor wires except those needed for the cooling speed. If one of the sequencers is now shorting and energizing the heating speed of the motor and the cooling relay is energizing the other speed voila, overheated and soon to be burnt out motor.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

ah, i think soon to be has potentially passed.
makes sense, with all the water that got into it, for the sequencers for heat and air to get shorted on the line side... wouldnt take much at all.

thank you for the advice.
karma to you sir.
jhw3_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 38

Buy a new capacitor with the new motor. That is a 240 volt motor. Make sure they give you the right one and a reversible type. Hate to bring it all home and find out it is the wrong rotation etc. Check the elements for continuos current draw if a sequencer is stuck ON. 5kw is a heck of a toaster to leave running all the time, and not safe. See if you can get a tech Buddy to check it all out to make sure it does not run wild or short out the new motor.

Good Luck.

Last edited by yuri; 08-20-2010 at 02:41 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote