Nope, Nothing, Nada... - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Nope, Nothing, Nada...

I have an Arcoaire heat pump, installed 1989, the type that has the air handler outside with the compresser, all self-contained. It has a propane power source.

It was working fine, then one day it just up and quit -I mean dead. I checked the t-stat first, and tried touching the green wire to the red wire to see if the fan would start. Also tried the yellow wire to the red wire, same result. The circuit breaker works, and the outside wall-mounted fuses are good. Outside, I went to discharge the capacitors with an insulated screwdriver, but there was no spark from any of them. I don't know if there is a condensate overflow switch, being that it is an outdoor unit, but I went ahead and cleaned out all the debris under the compressor and condenser.

I am sure there is something somewhere on the heatpump that could cause this, but I don't know what it would be. Contactor perhaps? Transformer? I doubt all three capacitors would go bad at once, and I don't know if that would cause this effect anyway.

Someone help please -I want to impress my wife.

Advertisement

toleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Nope, Nothing, Nada...

Are the thermostat signals correct and do you have proper low voltage from the transformer?

If yes, are you getting voltage on the compressor side of the contactor?

If yes, then it could be run or start caps. Maybe a relay problem or compressor windings.

If no, then check for voltage on the line side of the contactor. If you have proper line voltage then check for contactor failure, hi or low pressure cut out/lock outs.

Diagnosing high voltage issues can be very unforgiving. Proceed with extreme caution or hire a pro.

Advertisement

hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #3

Nope, Nothing, Nada...

"Are the thermostat signals correct and do you have proper low voltage from the transformer?"

If I take the face plate off the stat and connect the wires directly to themelves, wouldn't that take the stat out of the equation? Otherwise the signals seemed to be w/i parameters. BTW, the stat is about 3-4 months old. It could be the problem...

I did not measure voltage from the transformer -I will get a flashlight and do so now. What voltage level should I look for?

Once I've done this and if it checks out I'll refer back to your message for the other possibilities.

As far as the high voltage goes, I toasted a multimeter a few days ago by touching the wrong wire. The message came through loud and clear.

thank you hennyh!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

Nope, Nothing, Nada...

Post the model of the package unit so I may look it up.

Quit working at the stat and move to the control board of the unit. Measure voltage from R and C should be approx 27 v ac

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #5

Nope, Nothing, Nada...

Plumber101,
Sorry for dropping off like that; computer issues.....

It turned out there was one bad fuse in the outside fuse box. I jumped it with a copper pipe and it kicked in just fine. I went to the hardware store and got 2 new fuses of the same type and there has been no problem since.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Nope, Nothing, Nada...

Buy a new meter ASAP and stop checking things with copper pipes even if it is for a short period of time.

Hear Me.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #7

Nope, Nothing, Nada...

I do have a meter now. I also learned from diy sites that the outside box is a redundant fuse, put there for the convenience and increased efficiency of the technician so he (/she) would not have to keep running back to the main panel to cut power on/off/on/off...

The copper stayed in long enough to prove the problem, then came out. Replaced with good (and redundant) fuses.

I'm happy, the wife's happy, the world is beautiful.

I hear you, brother.

Advertisement