DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   HVAC (
-   -   Noobish Duct Connection Question (

jonathan03 12-29-2008 09:24 PM

Noobish Duct Connection Question
Ok, I'm embarrassed to even ask this but I've done some duct work and it always kills me on how to connect the pieces together. For example, I just bought some duct work to connect the hot water heater pipe to the chimney. I needed to convert the 3" pipe from the water heater outlet to the 6" chimney hole. So obviously I need a reducer so the best match I could find was a 6x4 and a 4x3 reducer.

The part that always kills me though is how to connect the pipes together? The 4" part of the 6x4 is exactly the same size as the 4" end of the 4x3. So I've been using tin snips to notch out pieces from one end and squeeze it in the other end. Definitely not easy. Am I missing something or are these connections always this difficult?

kennzz05 12-29-2008 10:52 PM

you need a tool called a crimper or you can try using needle longnose plyers put it on the pipe and twist about 45 degrees keep moving it till youve gone all the way round but the pipe should come with one end crimped already ok sorry just reread your post , yea the fittings arent factory crimped

beenthere 12-30-2008 06:25 AM

A crimper makes it an easy task.

jonathan03 12-30-2008 07:28 AM

Will a crimper ruffle the edges or cut out metal tabs? I have seen either style in the store. And is there another name for it than crimper? A search at Home Depot yielded all kinds of electrical crimpers to strip off insulation from a wire. I don't think this is the same is it?


beenthere 12-30-2008 07:52 AM

It Crimps.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1