Noisy Outside Unit When Blowing Hot Air - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Noisy outside unit when blowing hot air

Hello- I am a novice to the HVAC community and forums in general, so please be patient with me LOL. My AC man has not been able to remedy my problem and I am in hopes of someone solving it here. When the unit comes on (or enters a cycle) it will either run as it is supposed to and blow cold air OR it will sound very metallic (as if it is coming apart) and blow hot or warm air inside. Replaced the compressor and had two people tell me that my "pressures were good". I have a Hejl 3 ton compressor (actually its replacement is a2 1/2 ton). It continued to have the same symptoms both before and after the compressor replacement. Any ideas?
Thank you-

Advertisement

Beausdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,852

Is it a heat pump? Why was the compressor replaced? Was it just due to the sound? Is there a time delay before startup? What's operating superheat and subcooling? Are they sure it's the compressor making the sound?

Advertisement

roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #3

Yes, it is a heat pump. Yes, the compressor was replaced due to the noise I described (unfortunately, it didnt change anything). There is no time delay that I am aware of. Sorry, I dont understand your question regarding superheating and supercooling. We are not sure that the compressor is making the noise. It seems however, that the metallic sound does come from the bottom half of the unit rather than the top half. When it decides to "cool" it runs as well as it ever has. When it comes on and is in the "warm or hot" mode, it sounds like grinding metal almost. I would have thought bearing, but the fan motor spins freely and makes no noise. When unit cycles, the fan blades continue to spin for quite sometime - indicating to me that the fan motor itself is probably just fine. Would a faulty reversing valve cause the type noise I describe? Also would it produce intermittent cycles of hot and cold air?
Old 09-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,852

Yes, the reversing valve can absolutely cause a noise like that. A failing reversing valve can also destroy a compressor.
roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roughneck For This Useful Post:
Bob Sanders (09-19-2015), supers05 (09-20-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 10:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,246

Was a tech able to measure pressures and monitor system operation while it was not running properly?
zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,996

I would suspect a reversing valve chugging back and forth. It may be faulty, or if your RV requires voltage to cool then it could also be an intermittent relay to the RV.
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Sanders For This Useful Post:
supers05 (09-20-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 11:49 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 6,650

Make a recording of the noise it makes and post it.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 38

Was the reversing valve also changed with the compressor? Around here, we would never change just the compressor without changing the reversing valve.
Waiting on the sound clip

Cheers!
supers05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #9

My deepest apologies gentlemen and thank you for your replies!! The pressures were checked and appeared fine however, the unit was not acting up or making the noise at the time it was checked. I've not checked the relays to the RV. That will be my next move and will report following that. Thank you again for your input, I was away a couple of days and completely forgot about this post! Dont get old folks...

Advertisement