Noisy Ducane Furnace - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs down

noisy ducane furnace

i have a ducane oil burning furnace... when it starts up it makes a loud rumbling noise for 10 seconds....i cant stand it !!!! i heard maybe heat exchanger cracked ... it sounds like blower issue.... when i run fan only when cold...no noise...when burner starts the noise starts when blower starts....how can i tell if heat exchanger is cracked ??? if i have to replace furnace i will sell my damn house. !!! is there any possible fix i can look for...

Advertisement

billykid18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 882

noisy ducane furnace

Sounds like something inside the furnace is expanding/loosening and when the fan starts it rattles. Does not do it when cold so it sounds heat related to me. If the heat exchanger cracked you would have a truck exhaust smell in your house and possibly CO. Get a good CO detector. Should have the unit inspected by a Pro to be on the safe side.

Advertisement

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

noisy ducane furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by billykid18 View Post
i have a ducane oil burning furnace... when it starts up it makes a loud rumbling noise for 10 seconds....i cant stand it !!!! i heard maybe heat exchanger cracked ... it sounds like blower issue.... when i run fan only when cold...no noise...when burner starts the noise starts when blower starts....how can i tell if heat exchanger is cracked ??? if i have to replace furnace i will sell my damn house. !!! is there any possible fix i can look for...
And kill somebody if it has a cracked heat exchanger?

Whatta guy

Sure glad the housing market is down it probably prevented you from being charged with conspiracy to commit murder

I see dozens of people who have their homes for sale try to cover up bad heat exchangers in the course of checking out heating systems for potential buyers.
Of course these scamer sellers deny they knew anything was wrong, but a great number of times our company had been out on the some of these furnaces on another occasion and had advised the owners the furnace leaked carbon monoxide.

It's a felony to lie about known life endangering conditions that exist in a home for sale.

Last edited by hvaclover; 12-31-2008 at 01:04 AM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote