Noisey Pipes - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Noisey pipes

I know this is probably an age old question here but I looked back and could not find an answer. So I have an older home with the old fashon radiators. This summer we had a whole house wood stove put in and ended up draining the whole system twice. Before we installed the wood stove the pipes would "bang" maybe once when the heat came on, now they "bang" about 30 times over a minute when the heat comes on. I have bled off all the radiators and they all heat up normally. I'm wondering if we should drain the system again and try to fill it up slower or if there is anything we can do about it.

Advertisement

abckidsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,488

Noisey pipes

Did the pipes bang before the wood stove was installed?

If so, what temp is the wood stove heating the water to.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 738

Noisey pipes

Banging may be related to expansion and contraction of the radiator which is related to the water temperature. If it is hotter than B4 then it may expand more. What is the water temp now and do you remember it from B4. We gotta stop meeting like this beenthere. LOL
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #4

Noisey pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Did the pipes bang before the wood stove was installed?

If so, what temp is the wood stove heating the water to.
The pipes would bang one time, maybe two. The boiler in the house heated the water to 185. The outside stove heats the water to 185 as well, but it's being heated by fire so sometimes it will heat it up to 188-189 max as the fire dies down.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Noisey pipes

Go to www.heatinghelp.com. Post your question on the "Wall". They have lots of experience and knowledge.

Silent hydronic heat is possible! Good Luck.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #6

Noisey pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
Go to www.heatinghelp.com. Post your question on the "Wall". They have lots of experience and knowledge.

Silent hydronic heat is possible! Good Luck.
Thanks.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,262

Noisey pipes

Quote:
The pipes would bang one time, maybe two.
Ayuh,..

Just a Thought,...

I wonder if during the refit, a pipe or 2 were jambed, or pushed up against some framing or whatnot,..??
A shifted pipe is Rubbing somewhere,..??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #8

Noisey pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,..

Just a Thought,...

I wonder if during the refit, a pipe or 2 were jambed, or pushed up against some framing or whatnot,..??
A shifted pipe is Rubbing somewhere,..??
The new system goes threw the old boiler, then to the pipes and threw the house. No pipes in the house were moved or touched.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

Noisey pipes

Where exactly is the banging coming from? The rads upstairs or the pipes downstairs or the area around the old boiler etc. The old boiler in the loop may have something to do with the issue? <water hammer guy LOL
Old 01-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Noisey pipes

I would like to know how the head and gpm were figured for the Pump with what sounds like possably 2 boilers in series. If they are in series when he decides to operate the indoor boiler he will be sending heated water to the cold outdoor boiler. I hope it's not in series.
JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
Hvac Pro

Noisey pipes

My thoughts exactly. Great minds think alike. LOL
Old 02-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #12

Noisey pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Where exactly is the banging coming from? The rads upstairs or the pipes downstairs or the area around the old boiler etc. The old boiler in the loop may have something to do with the issue? <water hammer guy LOL

It sounds like it is coming from the pipes in the wall that come from the first floor to the second. That is where it is the loudest anyway.
nto our bedroom, that is where it is the loudest.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #13

Noisey pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH1 View Post
I would like to know how the head and gpm were figured for the Pump with what sounds like possably 2 boilers in series. If they are in series when he decides to operate the indoor boiler he will be sending heated water to the cold outdoor boiler. I hope it's not in series.
If I did this right this link will take you to an earlier post with pictures of the boiler in the house and how everything is connected. The third pic shows where the water comes from the outside boiler and returns, there is a bypass so the inside boiler can operate on its own.

Last edited by abckidsdad; 02-04-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 25

Noisey pipes

Same problem , all the plastic tabs that were holding the pipe were broken in my house and some had nothing holding them. I used the plastic brakets and its alot quieter.Especially one pipe that went through a drywall between a heated and unheated space.

The best way to handle this is metal hangers or brackets [i got mine in lowes] to hold the pipe in position before and after the drywall.In places i could not brace them i used the foam pipe insulation to tone down the noise.
The hot water is creating a vibration when metal expands due to temp change.This vibration is creating harmonic that are travelling down the pipe banging around in the drywall or on joists. just use a bracket every few feet and this will be resolved.Also, use expanding foam in the holes these pipe enter rooms it insulates and holds the pipe in position at the same time.

As far wood stove goes it just might be that its new and heating your water to fast which is leading to more pipe harmonics .If you set the operating water temp a bit low it might reduce the expansion a bit. so between the 3 suggestion you should be able to eliminate 90-95 % of your noises.

let us know
satz

Last edited by satz; 02-05-2009 at 09:07 AM.
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 250

Noisey pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by abckidsdad View Post
If I did this right this link will take you to an earlier post with pictures of the boiler in the house and how everything is connected. The third pic shows where the water comes from the outside boiler and returns, there is a bypass so the inside boiler can operate on its own.
From what I see you must have another pump on the wood boiler. When the wood boiler is doing the heating you should be operating both pumps. Or you will be heating by gravity needing to leave the flow valve manually open. ( I dont see the need for the flow valve) You say you have radiators. If this is so you dont need 180 deg water. You should not need more that 160 durring the coldest weather only. Unless you actually have baseboard or convectors then you need 180 deg water. if its radiators turn the temp down. The lower the better as long as it still heats. the lower the temp the better the fuel savings and you will have less expantion and contraction if that is the noise.

Advertisement

JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote