Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

Noise in Pipes

My furnace is oil fired with water circulation through my 2 story house. About 2 weeks ago, I went to the 2nd floor and did a yearly bleed of air from two radiators. These two radiators are the only ones that have bleed valves. I took about 1/2 to 5/8 quart from each until I was satisfied I could not hear any air and a solid stream of water came out.

Soon after, I started to hear noise coming from the pipe or pipes around or above the circulator pump. Is is possible that I did not bleed the system enough to rid of trapped air?

My heating system is controlled by two thermostats. The main stat is a programable type and controls first floor heat. The other stat is on the 2nd floor and controls the circulation to the second floor to the temperature desired.

My furnace was recently serviced and the mechanic was here for a good hour to perform all contracted duties.
What are your thoughts as to the noise in the pipes (like a tapping sound) and the intermitting furnace operation because the 1st floor stat is set at 69 degrees and 2nd floor at same. After 6 hours, now only reads 67 degrees.
Was I supposed to open a valve at the furnace before I bled the System?

rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Noise in Pipes

any time you bleed the system above the boiler shut the stat off you don't want the circulator running.make sure the auto feed water makeup is open.then bleed around the water makeup will push the air trapped within the piping to highest point... the noise is compressed air runnng around..noticed you didn't mention "zone valves" the 2 stats control circulators and the boiler is stand alone maintaining the water in the off cycle or is it a cold start there

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #3

Noise in Pipes

I am not familiar with oilburners. But I did trace the cold water supply and it was opened. But upon further testing with the main stat by raising the temperature 6 degrees above room temperature, it took about 20 to 30 minutes for the oilburner to fire up and the stat was calling for heat as per the Icon all this time. But the oilburner would not stay on for more then 3 or 4 minutes. I can feel some vibration from the circulation pump and something is strange. There is an 1-1/2 inch pipe coming from the bottom of the oilburner to the circulation pump and then on the discharge, there is a 3/4 inch copper pipe. Both are lukewarm to the touch????? But the motor of this pump is hot to the touch. I think the impeller on the pump is seized or broken, thus the vibration that I feel.
I only see one circulation pump on the system. Also I manage to be able to bleed one radiator and it took about 5 minutes before all air was expelled. There were spurts of black water coming out. I had no success with the 2nd radiator. the system is about 30 years old and its a Weil Mc Lain with a Becket mfg. burner. Your thoughts?

I forgot to mention that my neice complained to her husband that there was insufficient hot water for her to take a shower. So he adjusted the control that sets the lo & high temperatures to 180 lo & 210 high.
A serviceman once told me that that setting can wear out the furnace and we could face paying for a replacement.

Last edited by rjordan393; 12-01-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #4

Noise in Pipes

if your boiler is shutting down after a short run and the unit mounted thermometer reads up in the 170Fs then the circ pump isn't circulating the hot water...eyeball that thrmometer oon the boiler it will show PSI of the boikler and the actual water temp the dial s adjusted control that temp you see...heating tops 180ZF for radiators bsaeboard and 130 for domestic wash water
Old 12-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #5

Noise in Pipes

Ok, I'll check it and adjust to the temperatures you mentioned.

Its adjusted and when the burner kicked on a few minutes later, it ran for 2 minutes and 20 seconds. When it shut down even though the stat calls for heat, I can hear a sound like water boiling. I think its time for a service call.

Last edited by rjordan393; 12-01-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,004

Noise in Pipes

Make sure you have a auto air vent in the system down by the boiler that way while the water is circulating the air is being removed.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #7

Noise in Pipes

water boils at 212F controller might not be in line....your thermostat might be controlling the circulator and the first boiler call up to burn oil but once the adjustable temp is met the circ continues runnng till the stat satisfies or the cold weather calls the burner in again....the boiler limit can cycle off but it sonds like its too fast any thermometer on that boiler compared to the hi limit setting

Last edited by biggles; 12-01-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #8

Noise in Pipes

Coldiron,
There is an automatic air vent that a neighbor plumber gave me as a thankyou for doing him a favor. he does not want to touch my system because I am under contract but can inspect the system and let mew know what needs to be done.

Last edited by rjordan393; 12-01-2011 at 05:54 PM.