Noise From A/C Condeser - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Noise from A/C condeser

I have an American Standard a/c system and the condenser unit is making a noise that is loader than normal. It is not a squeal but more like a high speed clicking. This unit is 17 years old and was installed on our house when it was built it has been very reliable all these years and has only been topped off last year for the first time. Last spring the first hot day it did not kick on the condenser fan motor when we tried to get cool. I was about to call a service tech. but stuck a screw driver down in the grill and gave the fan blade a spin and it took right off and gave no more indication of any problem. I took the grill off the unit with the motor attached and the fan spun easily with no noise or roughness.

When this noise started this spring I assumed it was time to replace the motor but got to wondering if the compressor might be making such a noise.

Any ideas about this noise or how to isolate the motor to see where the noise is actually coming from.
Thanks
Mike

Advertisement

Radman427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 638

Noise from A/C condeser

Video it with sound if you can an put on youtube.

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 129

Noise from A/C condeser

If the motor is loose, the blades will clip the housing. I have heard this many times. Sounds to me that you may have a bad capacitor, the way you described the motor not starting without some help. Let me know if you need help with the cap.
Bitters is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bitters For This Useful Post:
Radman427 (06-02-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Noise from A/C condeser

Grab a cheap multi meter from Harbor Freight and test the cap. Chances are it's shot. If it hasn't been replaced in 17 years you might as well just replace it, it will cost less than the multi-meter!

Careful with this, you don't want that fan motor to not run while the compressor is. It will overheat and burn it out quickly.
wheelsup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelsup For This Useful Post:
Radman427 (06-02-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Noise from A/C condeser

blade might of been clipping one of the wires or the shaft is moving causing the blade to clip the cage...see if the blade moves in or out when pulled on....adjust it if needed...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 117

Noise from A/C condeser

I would vote for the capacitor as well. That would be the cheapest and easiest thing to try.
sidejobjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #7

Noise from A/C condeser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitters View Post
If the motor is loose, the blades will clip the housing. I have heard this many times. Sounds to me that you may have a bad capacitor, the way you described the motor not starting without some help. Let me know if you need help with the cap.
The blade turns freely and does not contact anything. It only hesitated one time a year ago but ran fine through the monster heat wave of last summer. I have had the fan out and spun it by hand and it seems to be fine as far as bearings go.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #8

Noise from A/C condeser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidejobjoe View Post
I would vote for the capacitor as well. That would be the cheapest and easiest thing to try.
Does this unit only have one capacitor, didn't they used to have a start one and a separate one for run?

Advertisement