No Ventilation In One Part Of Condo And Leaking - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

No Ventilation in One Part of Condo and Leaking

I have a condominium with a Carrier heat pump which is locate don the roof and some type of coil fin assembly in the ceiling near the air filter access and in front of the blower motor in the ceiling. Several months ago my vents in the rear rooms of my home which are east of the blower suddenly stopped working. I called an HVAC tech and he told me that he could not find any mechanical defects in the system. Further he told me that the only way he could probe any further to explain to me why the rear vents stopped working would be to randomly poke holes in my ceiling. Needless to say; I was not prepared to entertain that options as I would incur huge costs for all of the ceiling repairs following his probing which I frankly can't afford. Two weeks ago I come home and discover a puddle of water on my wood floors and panic thinking I have had a pipe burst in the unit above me or in the ceiling. When I began to search for it I find water had accumulated at the base of the coil fins in the area in front of the air filter and once the area filled to capacity it overflowed and began leaking from the access near my air filter. Can someone please provide me with some insight as to why

1. The air stopped circulating to one area of the house?
note: the HVAC works in every area of my house accept the rear half and I do not have Zone HVAC.

2. What could have malfunctioned.to cause the water to accumulate and begin leaking?

Advertisement

Scorpius1Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,044

All air conditioners condense water on their cooling coils. On yours the drain tube from the pan under the cooling coil apparently has become clogged.

A heat pump is a kind of air conditioner and during winter, the amount of water condensed on the coils will be less. In heating mode (in winter), the outdoor coil is the one where water may condense.

For the vents that stopped working, somehow the duct going to those vents is clogged or a probably manually operated louver or damper inside has fallen into a closed position.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-24-2010 at 10:27 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 AM   #3

How can I unclog the drain pan and how can I find the louver that has shut in the ductwork?
Old 08-25-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,472

Good chance your coil is dirty, and needs cleaned. That is probably why you found the water. Low air flow can cause the coil to freeze up. How often do you change your air filter.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #5

That is exactly what it did. It froze up. And went it melted, it leaked. There was a time when i was using 30 day filter and forgot to change them for about three months. Having said that I do not do that anymore, and I guess I am now paying for the sins of the past, but how do I clean the coil, and where do I go from here.
Also:
How do I find the louver; damper that may have closed in my system cutting off circulation to the back rooms? With out poking holes all throughout the ceilings of my condo.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,044

If it froze up badly enough, it could have burst some channel or tube within and thus caused a leak.

Can you see where the ductwork branches off to the parts of the house where it still works and the parts of the house that don't get any air?

Louvers should be accessible or have accessible handles.

Another possibility is that animals built nests inside the ducts.

You may be able to hire someone with a video camera snake to at least find out how far away a blockage is. There are a lot of drain plumbers who have this equipment, you should ask him to stretch it out in the yard while you hose it down so you don't get the ducts all dirty.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-25-2010 at 09:50 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ducts not blowing , hvac. heatpump , leaking , obstruction