Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

No power to my furnace. Can't diagnose.

Hello all. We found water around the base of my Ducane mpga075b3b furnace today when the house heated up. The water seems to have come from the condensate tube area, but I would estimate, based on the wet carpet/laundry, that there was up words of two gallons of water. Now, I am unable to get the furnace to light. The LED indicator is solid off, which the schematic says is lack of power. The furnace has it's own switch/fuse, which are good. We have reset the power at the breaker panel as well as at the outside power panel. I have checked all the connections I can find, as well as the manual reset rollout limit switches? I've been sitting on the wet carpet, racking my brain for hours now. My wife is cranky, because we can't afford an HVAC tech, and it's 103 degrees out. Any suggestions? Much thanks in advance! -mike

Besolondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Sounds like a plugged up condensate drain line.
On some units if the water backs up in the pan it shut down the unit so it does not continue to add more condensate.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #3

I considered this, but the line, although mildew-ish, is mostly clear of blockage. I still think this may have caused the water leak, but it doesn't explain the lack of power, or does it?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:09 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,628

Did the board or transformer get wet. use a multimeter to see if you have power coming to and from the transformer.
ben's plumbing (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,712

Check for power from the transformer and there is a fuse on the circuit board which may be blown. Take a hair dryer or heat gun and dry all the water in the electrical compartment.
ben's plumbing (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #6

Update: no water appeared to have gotten to the circuit board, or any transformer there. There is also an in-line transformer away from the furnace in the basement ceiling. I have not tested this yet, or an in-line "entrance switch" on the same line. These seem to be the only connections between my furnace and my circuit breakers. I checked the circuit breakers, and they seem to be functioning fine. I verified that the fuses (2) are good, the thermostat is good, and the switch for the furnace passes a circuit continuity test, but the power wires there show no power.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besolondon View Post
Update: no water appeared to have gotten to the circuit board, or any transformer there. There is also an in-line transformer away from the furnace in the basement ceiling. I have not tested this yet, or an in-line "entrance switch" on the same line. These seem to be the only connections between my furnace and my circuit breakers. I checked the circuit breakers, and they seem to be functioning fine. I verified that the fuses (2) are good, the thermostat is good, and the switch for the furnace passes a circuit continuity test, but the power wires there show no power.
did you check the door switch on furnace botton panel to see if is working.......if the fuses are old replace them anyway...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #8

"Door switch"? I'm not sure what that is.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besolondon View Post
"Door switch"? I'm not sure what that is.
the bottom panel on the furnace has a switch behind it for safety and service....remove door check to see if you have power to one side of switch ...if you do... push in switch see if power moves to other side of switch.. pictures help us...
Old 07-29-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,712

The door switch is on the panel that covers the fan so you cannot run it w/o the panel on and suck fumes in.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 91

are u sure you're getting power at your breaker? Just because you can reset doesn't mean it is good.
a.man1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #12

Update: I installed a new 16 volt transformer, but that fixed nothing. I then opened this "safety switchbox" box, and found two 15 watt fuses. One was blown. I replaced that, and turned on my power. My LED on the furnace circuit board lit up, followed by the fan motor kicking on. Shortly thereafter, the main blower kicked on, and everything went out again. I checked the new fuse that I had just replaced, and it was blown. (Note: I don't know how to upload more than one pic to a post, so I will add another shortly).
Attached Thumbnails
No power to my furnace. Can't diagnose.-image.jpg  
Old 07-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #13

The power at this junction is good. It splits here, and goes to a ceiling light one direction, and to the safety switch box (and ultimately to my furnace switch/circuit board) in the other direction. I don't see anything else in the line that might potentially cause a short or an overload. Sorry, but for whatever reason, these pics are upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
No power to my furnace. Can't diagnose.-image.jpg  
Old 07-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #14

1 st get rid of that 16 volt transformer....needs to be min 24 volts...then check the main blower sound like bad motor...
Old 07-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #15

Okay, thanks. I will try to locate a bigger transformer, but that might not happen until tomorrow. I'm not sure that I'm capable of checking that motor. If that's the next step, I may have reached the limit of my capabilities.