Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #1

Share |

No heat -- york Diamond 80 & LUX TX9000ts

I have a york Diamond 80 and a central air. Last December, I replaced my old mercury thermostat with a LUX TS9000 thermostat. I have tested both heating and AC and everything was working fine. Yesterday, there were some power fluctuations, power was out for a min and back on a couple of times. Since then, the heating stopped.

The thermostat has a blinking 'flame' icon indicating that it is signaling the furnace to kick in, but the furnace burners are all off. This model has electronic ignition and I did not see any activity at the igniter. I tried AC mode and the compressor did start. I tried set the fan from "auto" to "on" but there was no airflow in the vents. Is it the thermostat? Any ideas?

Thanks!

drammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #2

Ever tried to disconnect thermostat power.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy View Post
Ever tried to disconnect thermostat power.
Yes, did that and also hardware reset on the thermostat, but in vain.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

first try to turn power off to furnace and then back on. next check for a flashing led in blower compartment on control board. Post results.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #5

I found the below information on another site and that did it. The pressure switch tube in my furnace is at a different location than where it is show in the picture. Thank you all for your time and suggestions.

You likely have an induced draft furnace. There is a small blower next to the exhaust flue that assists the flow of combustion gases through the heat exchanger (not to be confused with the large blower that pushes air through your house.) There is a diaphragm pressure valve that senses the negative air pressure in the flue when the inducer blower is running. If it doesn't detect the pressure of the blower it won't turn on the gas because the it thinks the fan has failed or the flue is blocked. Usually what happens is that the port in the flue through which the air pressure is sensed becomes plugged.

First turn off your furnace by flipping the AC switch at the furnace. Take off the upper front panel of your furnace. You should see something that looks similar to the picture here.

See the small inducer blower motor on the left and the plastic tube leading to the pressure switch on the right. It is possible that the flue opening has become plugged with dirt blocking the pressure valve. Often this is because of rust or dirt in the connection to the flue. First remove the tube from the pressure valve end by sliding it off, leaving the other end connected to the flue. Then see if you can suck or blow air into the flue. The opening into the flue is very tiny, sort of needle sized, and smaller than the tube itself, so don't expect to be able to blow much air but it should not be completely blocked. One way to tell is to suck hard and then block it with your tongue. If you tongue sticks, no air is able to get through. If it is blocked you will have to disconnect the tube on the left and poke a stiff wire or needle to clear the blockage. This is usually rust so it can take a lot of force to clear the blockage. Remember that the opening to the flue is a tiny needle hole in the very center of the flue fitting. Then replace the tube and suck again to check if it has been cleared. Reattach the tube on both ends, turn on the AC power and your furnace should now run.