Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #1

Share |

No Heat to Upstairs

Hello, new to this site as I have been searching for some help. I searched these forums and came up blank so here goes. If there is already a thread about this please let me know.

I have a three zone forced hot water system. Each zone is controlled by a TACO heat motor zone valve. I had this problem once before and changed the power head and solved the problem. I tried this again but it did nothing to change the situation.

I do remember that when the heat turned on recently noticing that it sounded like there was more air in the system than usual. Instead of a gurgling sound it sounded like there was more air in the pipes.

My house is about twenty years old. Oil burner with tankless hot water and forced hot water for heat. I have no idea how to vent the zone or where I might go from here troubleshooting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Koz

kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #2

No Heat to Upstairs

shut the system off on the stat(don't want circulator on when bleeding) and manually open all the zone valves at the valve actuators(slide bar) then go to the top floors and bleed the zones working your way down.with the bleeding of the water the auto feeder will let water enter the system(at the furnace) and push the air out on the zones...continue bleeding till you get straight water all levels.on a restart(reset actuators to auto at the boiler) of system set all your other zones to the(no heat) lowest setting,and the upper floor to the (heat call)highest to verify the bleeding is complete then set all stats as you normally have them.

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #3

No Heat to Upstairs

Sorry biggles, but where am I bleeding the system from. I do not know of any valves at the baseboard radiators. Which valve do I open at the furnace. Do I open the valve just above the Zone Valve?

Thanks
Koz
kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #4

No Heat to Upstairs

the manual open....slide bar...right on the zone valve itself sticking out of the cover for the zone valve,and if you don't have a bleeder on the upper most baseboard run or each floor run out then the air will always seek the highest point with the circulater off....thats as far as i go you need to install a bleeder at least on the highest heating pipe you have.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #5

No Heat to Upstairs

Might have to turn the boiler off. Manually opening zone valves often actuates the associated circulator.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote