No Heat Upstairs - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

No heat upstairs

I posted about a problem I had last year with hearing a lot of noise in my pipes (thread is here: Help with bleeding air out of baseboards).

At that time a friend of mine came over, he hooked up a hose to one of the spigots and cracked the valve open and let it drip for a few hours, that seemed to get rid of the problem.

Fast forward to this year, now I've got no heat upstairs and I hear the water running through the pipes again downstairs. When I turn up the heat downstairs I immediately hear water running through the pipes and they get hot. When I turn it on upstairs, I hear some water (in the walls and in one of the bedrooms) but then it stops and none of the pipes up there ever get hot. When I shut the heat off upstairs I hear the water again, as if it's going back to where it came from.

Last night and today I tried bleeding that one zone, connected a piece of hose to that one spigot, closed the valves on both zones, shut off the burner and played with the fast-fill to keep the pressure around 25-28. At first I got a bunch of water (about 2 inches in a 5 gallon bucket) and a bit of air but then nothing else. I left the spigot open and kept playing with the fast-fill when the pressure dropped but never got any more water or air out of it.

Any suggestions or ideas about what's going on here? Do I have a big air bubble in there or could it be something else?

Advertisement

mikelbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

No heat upstairs

if you fast fill with everything closed on the floors then go to each petcock the wate pressure should of compressed the air and when you bleed off the air should be pushed out and them the fill water...until you get straight water out of all the petcocks bleeders you will not have heat...you might be blowing off the fill pressure and thats why your not getting air or water...so do the quick fill leave it cracked and then go around and bleed the drain cocks...on th fllors till you get straight water out...

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #3

No heat upstairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
if you fast fill with everything closed on the floors then go to each petcock the wate pressure should of compressed the air and when you bleed off the air should be pushed out and them the fill water...until you get straight water out of all the petcocks bleeders you will not have heat...you might be blowing off the fill pressure and thats why your not getting air or water...so do the quick fill leave it cracked and then go around and bleed the drain cocks...on th fllors till you get straight water out...
Are you talking about petcocks on the baseboards? I don't have any...
Old 10-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

No heat upstairs

you need to bleed with no circator running,and let the feed water push the air out at the highest point or per floor run out do you have radiators or straight perimeter baseboard?
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #5

No heat upstairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
you need to bleed with no circator running,and let the feed water push the air out at the highest point or per floor run out do you have radiators or straight perimeter baseboard?
I have straight baseboard.

Tonight I spent about 90 minutes with the hose connected, all of the valves closed and the burner shut off. At first I got a blast of air and water, then very little else afterwards. I kept opening & closing the fill valve as necessary to keep the pressure up to around 25-28 PSI but didn't get much more out of it. Afterwards I opened everything back up, turned it back on and went upstairs to see if there was heat. I heard some water running through the pipes but only in the wall and not in any of the bedrooms. So of course there was no heat up there.

Do I need to keep doing this or is there another method for getting the air out? Or could something else be going on?