No Heat Upstairs - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

no heat upstairs

I am looking to finish the third floor of my house but I need to make sure the heat is going to work before I start framing. I have two insulated ducts in the room and when I place a lighter near them One sucks in so I would figure a return and one blows out. The problem is the one blowing out doesn't blow heat and it's driving me nuts trying to figure it out.

I went to the basement and disconnected the duct from the trunk and I found the duct feeds one of the upstairs bathrooms and the third floor. I then turned on the heat and the heat worked in the bathroom but not on the thrid floor. The third floor just blew cold air. I then checked to see where the line from the third floor went and I found it went to a small vent in ther ceiling of another bathroom.

I thought that if I shut the vent in this bathroom it may push the heat to the third floor. I was wrong I found that if I shut the vent then no air will come out of the duct on the third floor.

Any help is appreciated

Advertisement

machz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

no heat upstairs

How many floors was this unit originally supplying conditioned air to? In other words is this third floor a complete new addition and thus there have been more ducts added to a system that was designed for only two?

In heating mode the blower is usually set on low speed versus in cooling mode being high speed.

On that note I'd also like to ask you if these vents are getting good air flow while in cooling mode. If so you can usually bump up the speed of the motor to medium low, medium, or medium high from low in heating mode to push more air. You will not receive as hot of air as when in low speed but you will have more air volume to make up for it.

Advertisement

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #3

no heat upstairs

Thank you for the reply doc.

The house was built in 2007 with three floors plus the basement and the furnace was sized for the house with the floors. There are 2 ducts on the third floor so I figured one was for the heat and the other was a return but after searching some more I found this may not be the case.

I know one is a return as I can hear/feel it sucking the air in but the other doesn't make any sense to me. I can't get all the way to the connection but it appears that the second duct goes from the room on the third floor to the ceiling vent in one of the bathrooms only. I don't know why they would run a duct from the bathroom to the third floor only? I took the cover off the vent in the bathroom and stuck my hand up as far as I could and I couldn't feel any T or other type of connection that would tell me that there is another connection. Also all of my vents in the house are in the floor other than this single vent.

So it may be that I only have one duct that runs to the furnace and it appears to be a retun. I would like to unhook the duct from the return trunk and connect it to the supply trunk but I am afraid I will throw off the balance of the system.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

no heat upstairs

don't shut the vent in that bathrom block the bathrom register then see what goes up into the third floor...if that bathroom had hot air discharging it should go to the upper floor ..on temperature might be uninsulated riser up to it or leaks....
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #5

no heat upstairs

I made a short video to give a better idea

http://muzzey.smugmug.com/Other/vide...7_9mFwJTM-M-LB
Old 09-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #6

no heat upstairs

Anyone have any idea why they would run a duct from the bath room to the upstairs like it shows in the video? Or any ideas what may be the best way to get heat up stairs?

Thank you
Old 09-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
REP

Rewards Points: 500

no heat upstairs

Well you have serveral problems.
The main problem is that you have flex duct which robs about 30-40 percent of the airflow because of the internal ribs.
Flex duct is for short runs and my guess is that that run is just too far.
I can't tell from the film but it looks to be 5" duct whic is too small for two outlets.
You could try running 7"from the furnace to where you can't get to the run in the wall.
The better thing to do would be to plug the run after the bathroom.If you plug the correct side you will end up with more air in the bath room.
Then of course you would need to run 6" or 7" flex to the third floor for a supply.
If you decide to put a differant unit in the third floor then yo want to block off both runs that go to the third floor.
I.E. elec base board for heat and a window unit for cooling.
Good luck

Advertisement

REP is offline   Reply With Quote