No Heat. Sequencer Faulty? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2015, 10:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

no heat. sequencer faulty?

i have a american standard/trane air handler TWE036P13 with electric heat. unit blows air but only cool air when in heat mode. checked stat and now thinking it is bad sequencer. i am a DIYer. can i simply replace the sequencer? can i find original replacement part or must i instal a compatible one. and how do i figure out the wiring? any help is appreciated.

Advertisement

spire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:35 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 6,462

Replace wire for wire. Get model number of sequencer off of the old one. Could also be a blown heater coil.

Advertisement

spire (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #3

before replacing parts could someone assist me in doing tests. i have only a multimeter but unfamiliar with wiring diagrams. i would like to test element continuity and test for how much load.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Turn off power. Put meter to ohms. Put probes on the strip heater posts. Should read between 10 and 14 ohms.

If ohm reading is correct. Then turn power back on. Set meter to voltage. Put probes on sequencer and see if it reads 240 or 0 volts across sequencer. Should read zero, after heat has been called for 2 minutes.
spire (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #5

thank you beenthere. when testing sequencer do i test each individual switch. and if so, i'll know which sequence switch is not functioning. am i correct in assuming if the first switch doesn't function then the others won't work either even if switch is not faulty? or am i to put the probes on to test the entire switch?
again thanks for your help. it is much appreciated.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

The second sequencer can work even if the first isn't.

Yes, each switch.
spire (02-22-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #7

OK opened up my furnace and have model BAYHTR1415BRKAC manufactured 5/2005. i see recalls on this model between 4/2003 - 2/2004. need to replace sequencer but should i simply replace the whole unit? wondering what people with more expertise think. any suggestions on replacement also appreciate.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 564

So far just guessing. A pro would check to see if voltage is being fed to the coil (s) first and also make sure voltage is going to sequencer. Then go from there.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #9

techpappy,
get a pro? thought this was a DIY site.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:28 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 564

I didn't say get a pro. You asked what experienced techs would do so I just advised you what a professional tech would do first. You also said there were recalls on 2003 and 4's but yours is a 2005 so may be OK. Sooooo, just check to see if voltage os going into the sequencer and if so, is it reaching the heating coils, then decide what to do from there. No need to change sequencer if it is feeding voltage to the coils. Let us know how you make out. All the best. Techpappy
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:55 AM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spire View Post
OK opened up my furnace and have model BAYHTR1415BRKAC manufactured 5/2005. i see recalls on this model between 4/2003 - 2/2004. need to replace sequencer but should i simply replace the whole unit? wondering what people with more expertise think. any suggestions on replacement also appreciate.
I'd just get the sequencer.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:33 AM   #12

hi beenthere. tested sequencer but saw that on one of the low voltage connection terminals had burnt black on it. even though it tested i decided to replace it. installed new sequencer and it didn't do the trick. couldnt test the coils because the breakers were blocking me from getting access to full access. tought i would get lucky to no avail. will pull breakers today. my thinking was that maybe i should just replace the complete element including coils, contactors, limit switches. more money but since it's all 10 years old good preventitive maintenance. what do you think?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #13

beenthere, just tested new sequencer while unit is on for 10 minutes. had 0 volts on secondary relay but on primary relay showing 1-2 volts. you said it should be zero. also 0 volts flowing through all contactors. can you direct me on what to check next? sequencer is getting 22 volts. should this be 24 volts? thx

Advertisement

Last edited by spire; 02-24-2015 at 08:59 AM.

Tags
electric heat , sequencer