No Heat (Rheem Gas Pack) - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

No heat (Rheem gas pack)

Hello all, newbie here. Glad to have found you guys.

I have a '00 Rheem gas pack model RRKA-A030JK08E. I've had no trouble since installing it 10 years back. Yesterday morning I turned on my heat for the first time this fall. Air blew, but no heat. I fiddled with the thermostat for several minutes to no avail. Anyway, yesterday's high was in the upper 60's, and since it was Saturday, I thought I'd wait until Monday to call a serviceman. Today, after talking to the guy who installed it (not a repairman), he told me to check a few things.

First I blew out all the debris, checked all the fittings to ensure they were tight (they were). I had my wife turn on the heat while I watched the unit outside. The fan came on fine, the unit tried to fire and I could see 1 of 4 "inlet" tubes fire up. It shut off about 2 seconds later. After about 30 seconds it tried to fire again, same thing. This occurred about 5 or 6 times then the whole unit shut off.

Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks.

Advertisement

Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

No heat (Rheem gas pack)

other burners / cross over tubes clogged up. flame sensor not detecting flame from the burners shuting unit down

Advertisement

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #3

No heat (Rheem gas pack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
other burners / cross over tubes clogged up. flame sensor not detecting flame from the burners shuting unit down
Can you advise how to unclog tubes?
Can you advise how to fix sensor? I assume changing it, but where is it?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

No heat (Rheem gas pack)

probably not the sensor. The burners are not lighting so, they aren't making contact with the sensor.

You will have to remove the panel to clean the burners/crossovers/prifices. Spiders / ants can get into the smallest cracks. They can & will stop up orifices /burners
Old 10-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #5

No heat (Rheem gas pack)

Quote:
probably not the sensor. The burners are not lighting so, they aren't making contact with the sensor.

You will have to remove the panel to clean the burners/crossovers/prifices. Spiders / ants can get into the smallest cracks. They can & will stop up orifices /burners
One of the 4 burners is lighting, just not staying burning but only a couple seconds. I did clean the area out with compressed air.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
HVAC / Plumbing

No heat (Rheem gas pack)

you may have to remove the burner assy. & check the orifices. You must not be getting gas out of the orifices.. Common for ants/ spiders to crawl into those small orifice holes & stop them up
Old 10-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #7

No heat (Rheem gas pack)

Quote:
you may have to remove the burner assy. & check the orifices. You must not be getting gas out of the orifices.. Common for ants/ spiders to crawl into those small orifice holes & stop them up
Does that mean just shutting off gas, disconnecting, cleaning, connecting, then turning back on gas?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
HVAC / Plumbing

No heat (Rheem gas pack)

yes. may have to remove orifices that aren't allowing gas to come out & clean
Old 10-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #9

No heat (Rheem gas pack)

Quote:
yes. may have to remove orifices that aren't allowing gas to come out & clean
Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
Seasoned DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

No heat (Rheem gas pack)

48 is flame sensor, so if it's the one nearest the sensor, it will see flame detection problem.

Your unit is 80,000 BTU and the manifold is designed for 40 to 100 with each orifice providing 20,000, so there will be five holes with four orifices and one plug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo View Post
Thanks, I'll try that.
Take out the manifold, then clean out the junk, or you should be able to poke into the orifices(#47) with thin needle or wire to clear it.
Attached Thumbnails
No heat (Rheem gas pack)-rheem_rrka.jpg  

Last edited by HVAC_NW; 10-03-2010 at 08:30 PM.
HVAC_NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #11

No heat (Rheem gas pack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC_NW View Post
48 is flame sensor, so if it's the one nearest the sensor, it will see flame detection problem.

Your unit is 80,000 BTU and the manifold is designed for 40 to 100 with each orifice providing 20,000, so there will be five holes with four orifices and one plug.

Take out the manifold, then clean out the junk, or you should be able to poke into the orifices(#47) with thin needle or wire to clear it.
Hey, thanks for the diagram. Would you mind labeling the other parts in case I need to replace any of them? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #12
Seasoned DIYer

No heat (Rheem gas pack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo View Post
Hey, thanks for the diagram. Would you mind labeling the other parts in case I need to replace any of them? Thanks.
Your unit is third from the left on top chart. Those are OEM Rheem part #s
Attached Thumbnails
No heat (Rheem gas pack)-rrka_list.jpg  
Old 10-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #13

No heat (Rheem gas pack)

Quote:
Your unit is third from the left on top chart. Those are OEM Rheem part #s
You've been a lot of help. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #14
Seasoned DIYer

No heat (Rheem gas pack)

You can stick a pin down the orifice to unclog it for the time being, but ideally, the manifold should come out, then blown out clean with compressed air with gas valve disconnected which involves removing and reconnecting gas connection. Because the debris might just find its way back into the orifice.

That part, I would recommend calling a gas fitter or a service company, or at least that's what I'd do since I don't have pipe wrenches. Leaking gas is no fun and if you don't do the thread sealing correctly on the inlet side you'll have a gas leak, or if debris from dope or tape gets inside, you're going to ruin the gas valve which is rather costly. While you have them over, have them check your manifold pressure and get it adjusted as needed. Do you pros think this is a sound advise?

Last edited by HVAC_NW; 10-04-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #15

No heat (Rheem gas pack)

Quote:
You can stick a pin down the orifice to unclog it for the time being, but ideally, the manifold should come out, then blown out clean with compressed air with gas valve disconnected which involves removing and reconnecting gas connection. Because the debris might just find its way back into the orifice.

That part, I would recommend calling a gas fitter or a service company, or at least that's what I'd do since I don't have pipe wrenches. Leaking gas is no fun and if you don't do the thread sealing correctly on the inlet side you'll have a gas leak, or if debris from dope or tape gets inside, you're going to ruin the gas valve which is rather costly. While you have them over, have them check your manifold pressure and get it adjusted as needed. Do you pros think this is a sound advise?
I've got a certified repairman coming over on Wednesday. I feel comfortable with gas pipes and fittings (done it several times), but I think I'd feel much better sleeping at night knowing that a qualified technician fixed the problem. I do appreciate the help though.

Advertisement