Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

no heat,a/c or blower fan

Hello. I am a newbie.User and homeowner. I am hoping someone can help me avoid calling someone in to fix this problem.
It started a few weeks ago and I have been trying to figure something out and I have had no luck
One day the a/c just stopped working. I turned the thermo off and left it alone until I had time to mess with it. A friend thought it might be the therm itself and changed it. That didn't work. I then decided to check if the heat would work and nothing. If I turn the fan setting to "on" or "auto" nothing. I do not know what else to do. I checked the fuse box to make sure all were on and they are. I even switched them all off and back on to be sure.
I read somewhere that if you twist the red and green wire at the thermo together you should get something. I did that and nothing. I have a gas furnace up in the attic and an a/c compressor(the big unit outside). Both units in and out say comfortmaker. I would appreciate any help you can offer. It is getting pretty cold and the funds are very low right now. Thank you in advance.
BTW: the troubleshooting indicator light is not even on. no flashing or solid. nothing at all

Last edited by suelc; 11-22-2009 at 12:11 PM.
suelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,348

You have no power to the furnace. Trace the main high voltage power wire from the furnace back and see if there is a power switch that someone accidentally shut off. Try remove the doors from the furnace and put them back on. There is a door switch behind one and it may be loose.

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #3

If I have no power to the furnace, would that stop the a/c from working too?
I tried taking the doors off and replacing them many times and nothing. I checked the power switch at the furnace and it is on. I even check the voltage to the switch and it is fine. What else can I try. And thank you for responding. Sue
Old 11-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

The A/C and furnace share the same 24 volt power supply from the furnace. On the circuit board to the furnace there should be a small 3 or 5 amp GM blade type fuse which is probably blown. Check the wiring to the A/C outside. Rodents or dog or weedwhacker may have damaged it and the fuse is blowing.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #5

I had read something about this fuse before. I tried to take the circuit board off but the actual board is inside a plastic type box. Can I pop this box open? I was unsure if this was okay to do, so I screwed it back on.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 510

Maybe you should go ahead a call a pro.
Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #7

Thanks. I know that. But as I said, I do not have the $$ right now.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Post some pics of the furnace with both doors off, especially where the thermostat wires attach and that board. Some of those units have a fuse which is not on the board but inline with the wiring from the transformer in a small black plastic cylinder or other device.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #9

I cannot post a pic right now. I will later though. I did take the circuit board apart and there was no fuse inside it. Maybe it will be somewhere else? Is that what you are saying?
It just seems that it would have to be a power issue like you said. Is it possible for everything not to work and it not be power related? Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate you.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

If there is no LED then it sounds like there is no 24 volts to the circuit board. Find the transformer and check if it is putting out 24 volts. There should be 24 volts from R to C on the board. There should be a fuse after the transformer or inline with the wiring somewhere.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #11

here are some pics. Sorry. camera is not working had to use a cell phone
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

If you took that circuit board apart and disturbed it then it may be unsafe to use! It is a critical safety item as it contains the flame failure response circuitry. I am not comfortable going any further. Sorry.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #13

That's okay. Thanks anyway. All i did was take it out of the box it was in. There was no fuse and I put it back together. Something is definitely stopping power. I appreciate all of your help. Have a great holiday season. Sue