Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

No heat.

Hey guys, new to the site, skipped intro, but my name is Brandon I'm 23 and a master auto tech. recently bought a house here in Medford Minnesota and heres my problem.

Its cooled down outside so I went to turn the heat on last night. set the thermostat and it clicked, I walked away happy. 45 min lateriI noticed the thermo said it dropped 2 degrees in the house, went oitside and the units fan was running ( yes outside) so i turned the fan off of auto and in the off position but it has continued running for the last 24 hours.

the kicker is its an outside unit that looks like it belongs on top of a buili can find no model numbers, its an a/c furnance in one huge unit. in the summer months a/c worked awesome.

so I'm hoping these are starting points, i know nothing about hvac but a lot about cars so i can diagnose if i have some points to start. also being a mechanic i'd prefer to fix it myselftrather then contract out. any help is appreciated, i just hope diy forums are not as harsh and judging as car forums haha or else I'm screwed.

kathsauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

No heat.

Sounds like you may have a heat pump. When the outside unit is running, feel the air coming from it. If it's heat then your heat pump is cooling rather than heating. Could be a few things. Thermostat, control board, reversing valve...itc. Time to call a hvac tech. I take it the blower came on inside the home when you heard that click? Are you sure you have the thermostat set to heat and not cool? Do you have an emergency heat setting on your thermostat? There are so many intelocking devices which will allow your unit to run it's nearly impossible to tell you where to start. It has power, your thermostat controlling the unit proves that. Do you have a furnace indoor or is everything outside? Post a picture of the equipment if you can. Model numbers will help greatly. Should be a name plate near where the power is supplied to the unit. Is it all electric or is there gas connected to it?

kathsauto (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #3

No heat.

When I turned the heat on the blower did not turn on inside the house. the furnance/ac is all one outside unit. the unit blows airout at outside temp from the vent in the picture (even with the thermostat set to off) it is gas. gas valve is open. i took some pictures its dark out so had to use headlights haha. still cannot find a model number. you think it would be stamped but couldnt find any. theres a few stickers but there all weathered out. Took some pics of the thermo to show off position ( when unit blows only on outside vent) and on position with same result. IAappreciate your help.

(This is where the pics should be but I'm doing this all off a phone and cant upload)
Old 09-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #4

No heat.

I correct myself, I'm currently pulling the top cover off, its 43 degrees out and the air comming from the units vent is warm
Old 09-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #5

No heat.

Re-check your thermostat settings...make sure it is set to heat, and not cool. If you have a heat pump it may have a stuck reversing valve. Does your thermostat have an emergency heat setting? Did you say that you do not have an indoor blower and that everything is outside>
Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #6

No heat.

No emergency/ set to heat. finally got the hurricane proof covers off. haha theres like 500 screws. i followed the gas line to three burners at the bottom. they are not lit. theres an exhaust fan blowing and a huge fan blowing across what i can best explain as a set of headers that is also on. i know the prob is the burners not being on (no flame at all, no pilot) but I'm also curious why those to fans blow with the thermoset to off and fan set to auto ( two positions on the fan auto/on) and yes the entire unit is outside. one side is a/c the other is heat with ducts running inside. now to figure out why the burners arnt working
Old 09-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,632

No heat.

Sounds like a high limit tripped.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #8

No heat.

remove the stat of the subbase and jump R to W when testing heat.NOTE the fan call comes from within the unit thru a heating cycle disc or control module delay not the stat.is there a smaller fan on the burner section running above the burner section,do you hear a sparking like when you use your stove top?...why condenser fan is running is a relay problem away from the heating side....no action with that stat jump(remove it) go right onto the unit jump the same R to W so you see the action and tell us whats up valve is open....line valve is open..sorry had to ask!if you have an Induced Draft motor(small fan like in a car type) that should be the first thing to run on that jump...if not there...the sparking should happen with that jump....if you don't have an (orange insulated wire,spark plug cable thick lookin')going from a gray/white module in the heating section?if it is just a aluminum gas line into the pilot it is a standing pilot.shut the unit power disconnect OFF/REMOVE R to W JUMP)...put the gas valve to pilot press down light pilot hold down for 30sec and release it pilot should stay lit? get back yes/no....note if you don't have that pilot lit nothing will happen for heating..if yes turn the gas valve to ON...then rejump R to W burner should lit.that unit fan running was it the supply fan for the house or the condenser fan that blows up and out above the compressor?
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #9

No heat.

Ewent out this morning, code one, limit circuit open
Old 09-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #10

No heat.

Reset the switch, heat turned on, was looking around to see anything that would cause it totrip the switch and found a big hole in the tubes that look like car headers. i noticed it cause it was glowing ha
Old 09-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #11

No heat.

if that is on the supply air side the heat exchanger is shot...running the heat will send carbon monoxide into the home..like a car exhaust
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

No heat.

check your real estate laws/lawyer..I would think the previous owner/seller should be responsible to have sold the house with a working heating system ..the heat exchanger does not happen over night..if you can see flame then it is an old condition that IMHO should have been corrected before them selling the house to you OR should have been declared and appropriate discount ot repair/replacement at your choice..you may have some recourse..not sure about your consumer protection laws in this case though
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,632

No heat.

Time for a new heat exchanger or furnace.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,020

No heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techpappy View Post
check your real estate laws/lawyer..I would think the previous owner/seller should be responsible to have sold the house with a working heating system ..the heat exchanger does not happen over night..if you can see flame then it is an old condition that IMHO should have been corrected before them selling the house to you OR should have been declared and appropriate discount ot repair/replacement at your choice..you may have some recourse..not sure about your consumer protection laws in this case though
If the previous homeowner did not know about the heat exchanger being bad then they cant disclose something that they did not know about. IF all they knew was that the heat was not working then that should have been disclosed and then the buyer would have had some decisions to make: 1. Make the seller repair the heat so that it is working condition (along the way they would have likely found the heat exchanger failed) 2. the buyer could have had an inspection done of the heating system 3. the buyer could have said no big deal, we will deal with it later. 4, the buyer could have paid to have the heating system looked at (again, likely the heat exchanger problem would have been found) and then the buyer could have asked for repair/replacement of said system or a monetary value off the purchase price.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

No heat.

coulda woulda shoulda...I still think there is a clause in most house sales agreements that all major appliances sold with the house are deemed to be in good working order. particularly the furnace .Check your contract

techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote