Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #1

Share |

No Heat ?

I have a GMV95 Goodman Furnace. Its been working fine for the last 4 years except I had to replace the main board last year. Just noticed yesterday that the intake fan was running continuously. I shut the power off and turned it on after a couple minutes. Now the intake fan and the blower run continuously. I shut the power off and read up on some issues notes in other boards. I removed the ignitor, flame sensor and primary limit sensor cleaned them up lightly with some light sand paper and re installed. Still no ignition or flame. I cant smell any gas. I have checked the source coming in from outside and that looks good and the valve is in the on position. I have a gas water heater and that is on the same line. It is giving hot water. I turned the gas valve switch off and on leaving it in the off position for a couple minutes. Still no ignition or flame. When I turned the thermostat off and restarted the furnace (no call for heat) the intake fan and blower fan still come on. This makes me think to replace the primary limit sensor, ignitor and/or flame sensor. But before I do this I wanted to see if I am way off base here. I am hoping its not the gas valve. But thinking it could be? Thanks

Oh and the flash code is 13 flashes and then off...which isn't listed in the manual.

jesmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #2

No Heat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesmoose View Post
I have a GMV95 Goodman Furnace. Its been working fine for the last 4 years except I had to replace the main board last year. Just noticed yesterday that the intake fan was running continuously. I shut the power off and turned it on after a couple minutes. Now the intake fan and the blower run continuously. I shut the power off and read up on some issues notes in other boards. I removed the ignitor, flame sensor and primary limit sensor cleaned them up lightly with some light sand paper and re installed. Still no ignition or flame. I cant smell any gas. I have checked the source coming in from outside and that looks good and the valve is in the on position. I have a gas water heater and that is on the same line. It is giving hot water. I turned the gas valve switch off and on leaving it in the off position for a couple minutes. Still no ignition or flame. When I turned the thermostat off and restarted the furnace (no call for heat) the intake fan and blower fan still come on. This makes me think to replace the primary limit sensor, ignitor and/or flame sensor. But before I do this I wanted to see if I am way off base here. I am hoping its not the gas valve. But thinking it could be? Thanks

Oh and the flash code is 13 flashes and then off...which isn't listed in the manual.
use a volt meter to check if limit open...

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #3

No Heat ?

will do...we have one. Will respond back when we test...although it won't be until later tonight, since he is out working. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
how

No Heat ?

An unlisted diagnostic led flash sequence is almost always a board problem.
Your main blower will run continuously & stop any ignition if you have any break anywhere in your safety limit circuit but that still wouldn't explain the 13 flashes.
If you do end up needing a new board, you need to find what is degrading them so quickly. A loose furnace ground is the most common cause.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #5

No Heat ?

We assumed the last board went bad due to moisture. It was pretty corroded, we get a wet basement in the spring. Not to mention that we had a shady contractor due installation...he had the drain draining into the unit rather then out. We also have an older home. Replaced the board last spring prior to replacing it lasted 3 years. Worked on fixing the water problems and it actually has been pretty amazingly dry considering. The board looks really good...but that can also be deceiving. We have a heat pump if that makes a difference? It is just really odd how it has been working fine for a year and all of a sudden...
Old 04-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #6

No Heat ?

OH and the board we bought wasn't the same as the original...it is an Emerson(listed as a substitute) and it has 2 lights instead of only 1 like the original.
Thanks for insight...anything helps!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
how

No Heat ?

Does your legend for explaining the meaning of the diagnostic led flashes actually refer to your substituted board? If not, your board may still be OK.

Last edited by how; 04-30-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #8

No Heat ?

We are using the legend off of the furnace manual not the new board, so we should be using the boards diagnostics...not even sure we have them? I tried locating something for it off of the internet but couldn't locate anything.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

No Heat ?

Smart valve gas valve? Two plugs on the gas valve, ignition and control. If so, change it.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #10

No Heat ?

Used the volt meter and everything is getting "juice".
Old 05-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #11

No Heat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Smart valve gas valve? Two plugs on the gas valve, ignition and control. If so, change it.
I guess we are a bit confused as to what a Smart valve is...I can attach a picture of it if that helps?

Old 05-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
how

No Heat ?

That's just a simple 2 stage gas valve, not a smart valve with all the potential bad stuff that "Doc" was worried about.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #13

No Heat ?

Thanks! Well I guess with us being in the dark here we are going to order a Primary Limit, Flame Sensor, Rollout Limit and a Gas Valve and hope its at least one of those issues?!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
how

No Heat ?

Hold them ordering horses. Those parts are unlikely to be the problem but you can check the limit circuit to confirm that.

What exactly did you mean by..
Used the volt meter and everything is getting "juice".

Turn off the furnace power.
Find a limit control, follow the lines in either direction away from it through the other safety controls until they get back to the board. Disconnect those two lines from the board and do a continuity test on that safety limit circuit. Is it open or closed? You can also disconnect every safety switch to individually test them as well.
Let us know what you find.

You mght also remove your board to examine the back of it for any burned or corroded connections.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #15

No Heat ?

I agree .... slow down.... check the limit.....

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote