Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

No cold air from A/C unit

Both the blower fan and condensing fan run. However there is no cold air coming out. It is the same temp as outside air. I have checked the dual capacitor and it looks to be fine. What else can I check before I have to call a tech.

kking131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kking131 View Post
Both the blower fan and condensing fan run. However there is no cold air coming out. It is the same temp as outside air. I have checked the dual capacitor and it looks to be fine. What else can I check before I have to call a tech.
Look at the top of the cap. If it isn't flat . If it is bulge it is open. You didn't say if the compresser is running out side . Just both fan's. Sound's like the start - run cap. is bad.

del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #3

The cap of the capacitor is flat no leaks. There is only one capacitor. were do I look to find the run cap?
Old 10-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #4

The compressor hums briefly when it is started and will hum ever now and then
Old 10-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 130

Quote:
The cap of the capacitor is flat no leaks. There is only one capacitor. were do I look to find the run cap?
that is the run cap. You probably don't have a start cap.

Sounds like you should call a tech now if you don't have a good electrical meter. And turn the thermostat system switch to off. before anymore damage is done to the compressor.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #6

Quote:
It is only 1 cap. but it is a start and run all in 1 unit. It should have i belive 3 spade lug's on top with probly 4 wires 2 go to the same place and of course the other's go to the other spades. Now it could be open with a slite buldge? Sound's like a service call .
Old 10-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
It is only 1 cap. but it is a start and run all in 1 unit. It should have i belive 3 spade lug's on top with probly 4 wires 2 go to the same place and of course the other's go to the other spades. Now it could be open with a slite buldge? Sound's like a service call .
No, it is not an all in one cap.

If it has 3 separate terminals on it. It is known as a dual run cap. It serves both the compressor and the fan motor. But it is only a run cap. Not a start cap.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
No, it is not an all in one cap.

If it has 3 separate terminals on it. It is known as a dual run cap. It serves both the compressor and the fan motor. But it is only a run cap. Not a start cap.
is known as a dual run cap . That is what i said in around bout way . If the cap is open the comp. will not run. I belive with out looking back at his post's. I belive he said the fan ran?? if so the comp. could be locked up. Here is more about the cap.

A dual run capacitor supports 2 electric motors, such as in large air conditioner or heat pump units, with both a fan motor and a compressor motor. The dual capacitor has 3 terminals labeled "C", "FAN", and "HERM" for the common, fan, and hermetic compressor connections.[3]
Round dual run capacitors (shaped as round cylinders) are commonly used for air conditioning, to help in the starting of the compressor and the condenser fan motor.[2] Dual capacitors come in a variety of sizes, depending on microfarads (F), such as 40 plus 5 F, and also the voltage. A 440 volt capacitor can be used in place of a 370 volt, but not a 370 in place of a 440 volt.[2] The microfarads must stay the same within 5% of its original value.[2] An oval dual run capacitor could be used instead of a round capacitor, but the mounting strap should be changed to better fit the oval shape.[2]
A faulty dual capacitor often becomes swollen up, with the sides or ends bowed or bulged out further than usual: it can be clear to see that the capacitor has failed because it is swollen or even blown apart with capacitor oil leaking.[4] The U.S. EPA stopped allowing manufacturers to produce capacitors with cancer causing PCBs, and because of the replacement materials, the capacitors now have a limited shelf life.[4] When a dual capacitor fails in an A/C compressor unit, either the outdoor fan does not run, the compressor does not run, or both the fan and the compressor motors do not run.[4]
Old 10-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
It is only 1 cap. but it is a start and run all in 1 unit.
This is where you made it sound like its also a start cap.

Yes, there is a good chance, that the compressor side is open, or weak.