No Brainer? - Heat Pump Choice - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

No brainer? - heat pump choice

So I got estimates from 3 different reputable local HVAC companies. Pretty sure it's a no brainer selection, but let me know if there's something I'm missing.

These two were right at the same cost after rebates:

* Carrier- 14 SEER 25HCE4 2.5 ton single-stage heat pump with FX4 3 ton vrb speed air handler/coil

* Maytag- 14 SEER M1200 2.5 ton single stage heat pump and air handler/coil

Then for a bit less (a Benjamin less for each digit on one hand) (yes, less):

* Trane- 16 SEER XR16 2.5 ton single stage heat pump with 2.5 ton TEM6 vrb speed air handler/coil

I think the Maytag is an obvious no choice given the other two are vrb speed air handlers. And the 16 SEER Trane seems the obvious better choice for the increased efficiency and lower cost.

Is it too obvious? Or is there a reason to pick the Carrier over the Trane? Seems like I'm either getting a real good deal for the Trane, or the other two are high-balling me.

Advertisement

munstie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 1,998

Re: No brainer? - heat pump choice

Sounds very strange to me. Where I am Trane is the most expensive.

Are the first two giving you a extended or 10 yr parts/labor warranty? That usually adds $500.

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #3

Nope, extended warranty was extra with all of them.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

I would make sure the Trane comes in a perfectly sealed box. Occasionally we have to resell a unit if it was the wrong size for the house ( yank it out ). Not sure if some unscrupulous dealer would try pass it off w/o telling you but it could happen.

Post exactly where you live ( City/town and State ) and the prices for all 3 and maybe somewhere here lives close and can tell you if the first 2 are 2 high. Giving prices won't hurt anybody/anything.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #5

They all gave me a few options.. The Trane 14 Seer was a good bit cheaper than both the Maytag and Carrier 14 SEERs.

Also the 3 Trane options increased by about $1400 between the 14, 16, and 18 SEER models. So their prices are consistent. Will ask the guy that gave me the estimate if these are new units though.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 38

Trane's market share has taken a beating where I am. You could be getting a good deal with someone trying to offload them.

I like ECM air handlers. Unless your electricity is dirt cheap, The extra cost of the motor pays for itself. (I'm talking repairs too, on average if course) They are very quite when starting and in low speed mode.

Cheers!
supers05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #7
Hvac Pro

Yeah I think people are really starting to realize Trane is no longer a old school Maytag man quality unit (IMO). Their parts are very expensive where I am. Lots of bad publicity because of leaking evaporator coils and people are questioning whether the extra cost is worth it. There was a video here of a very unhappy contractor being charged over $800 for a evap coil because he was not a dealer. IMO the bad publicity may be catching up to them.

Maytag ACs are produced by Nordyne/Nortek ( pays for the name same as GE and Westinghouse sells their name ) and at one time along with Goodman was considered pretty low on the totem pole. Goodman has come a long way up in quality and I have not heard much bad about Nordyne. They have different levels of quality and unless you are talking mobile home units which everyone builds dirt cheap they may be OK.

Last edited by yuri; 05-14-2016 at 10:15 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,102

Check the heating capacity ratings, units of the same tonnage can differ in how well they heat.

Capacity is more important than efficiency on the heating side.

You won't get much above 9 hspf for heating even when looking a 16 to 18 seer.

You won't necessarily save very much on the cooling side, going for a high-seer machine.

A lot of the 14s will hit 15 with a ecm air handler; u won't notice the difference between 15 or 16 seer.

The numbers are only lab values and your actual efficiency will vary.
user_12345a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:47 PM   #9

Trane has a spine fine coil btw.

Maytag/nordyne may have micro channel coils, i would avoid them. New unproven technology and word on "the internets" is that they had leak problems.

Carrier is probably a good choice -> u can also look at icp (tempstar, etc) since it's pretty much the same stuff as carrier.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_12345a View Post
Trane has a spine fine coil btw.

Maytag/nordyne may have micro channel coils, i would avoid them. New unproven technology and word on "the internets" is that they had leak problems.

Carrier is probably a good choice -> u can also look at icp (tempstar, etc) since it's pretty much the same stuff as carrier.
Microchannel is far from "new unproven." it's been standard in York/Lennox RTUs for quite a few years now. They have been used in automotive rads for even longer. I have no problem with them, Just make sure that it's not rubbing/vibrating on the chassis anywhere.

Cheers!
supers05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #11

hopefully they've gotten the bugs worked out, i know they had problems before. i wouldn't buy a unit with a micro-channel coil myself. they only do it to cut costs especially with the high-seer stuff.

Advertisement