Ng Furnace Won't Turn Off - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

ng furnace won't turn off

i had the gas company out tonight. here is what he said:
flames rolling out, exchanger plugged, soot/carbon. back valved, left off. replace gas valve, have heat exchanger cleaned before use. no visual, too plugged cannot see if cracked. advised vent.
i had the furnace serviced and cleaned 1.5-2yrs ago. it was in exceptional condition. so i don't know what really happend
i don't want to know how to fix, i have to figure out how much this will cost? i live in calgary ab, and i know really nothing about ng furnaces. oh well, at least we will live. apparently this could have started a fire and or poisoned us to death, we all woke up with headaches and the mo detector going off, so i shut the furnace off and opened windows.
the upside is that it's only supposed to get to -5 tonight. if this happened last week.... it was -15c -20c. i'm looking into a new furnace, but it's not like i just have $5000 kikin around. thanks

Advertisement

cowboy dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cowboy dan For This Useful Post:
cuquanan (12-14-2010)
Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 882

Cannot tell you what it will cost but you really need a new one. Get 3 estimates from reliable companies (check BBB). Furnaces start around $3500 to $4000 where I am and I suspect Calgary is more expensive due to the higher cost of living. In Wpg you can finance them thru the gas co and pay it off on your gas bill.

Advertisement

Last edited by yuri; 12-13-2010 at 10:21 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

wasn't Sgt. Preston of the RCMP out of calgery?
Old 12-14-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

'D' division.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Cannot tell you what it will cost but you really need a new one. Get 3 estimates from reliable companies (check BBB). Furnaces start around $3500 to $4000 where I am and I suspect Calgary is more expensive due to the higher cost of living. In Wpg you can finance them thru the gas co and pay it off on your gas bill.
replacement is the decision. Amana 95% 2stage a/c drive 70,000btu. taxes in, $4302. this includes install. 10yr parts, 10yr labour, 10, life limited on h/e. the rest of my quotes go up from there. there was a sigle stage d/c drive 92% for 700 less. my choice is one up from the bottom if there is a better deal.... i didn't find it. it was 12c inside when i woke up this morning. but i have to wait, one more night. 8:00am. there were 4 people on the news that went to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning. i count my family lucky. the furnace is 25yrs old and it just needs to be replaced. it would cost around $1200 to fix this old one.... and then $1200 every year after.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

The Amana is a very good choice, it is also known as Goodman as they joined together but it is a very good unit. I would go with the 2 stage also. Especially in Calgary 2 stage will work well in the milder weather and Chinooks. Will run on low fire and be more comfortable and efficient. Lucky you did not die from CO poisoning as yours was completely carbonned up with flames rolling out. Had 2 already this Winter in Wpg and we are just getting started. That is a good price and I would go for it.

Last edited by yuri; 12-14-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #7

hey Yuri! You want to get into real interesting discussion? Ask Beenthere why low stage is not efficient as a high stage heat.
I think there was a thread of more than 20 pages on the other site. Quit a spirited and multi opinioned meeting of the minds.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
hey Yuri! You want to get into real interesting discussion? Ask Beenthere why low stage is not efficient as a high stage heat.
I think there was a thread of more than 20 pages on the other site. Quit a spirited and multi opinioned meeting of the minds.
i know what you are refering to, as the low stage would not be hot enough to effectivly warm my house so it might run longer. when it's mild i will see. every furnace that i looked at was 2 stage except for one, the bottom rung on the totem pole. i personally think it's all a ploy to catch sales, but having one bell or whistle is better than having none, i'd be happy with just a working furnace...lol atleast my xmas will be warm even if it means $4000
Old 12-15-2010, 03:30 AM   #9

[quote=cowboy dan;551355]i know what you are refering to, as the low stage would not be hot enough to effectivly warm my house so it might run longer. when it's mild i will see. every furnace that i looked at was 2 stage except for one, the bottom rung on the totem pole. i personally think it's all a ploy to catch sales, but having one bell or whistle is better than having none, i'd be happy with just a working furnace...lol atleast my xmas will be warm even if it means $4000[/quote]
if I responded with simple yes to your post it would be a gross over simplification.

But just to put a little more meat on the skeleton of the issue I refer to; let's say the low stage fire is strictly a means to achieve better comfort level only.
It does nothing to save $$ on fuel bills.

But we need Beenthere to make a real topic.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:36 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy dan View Post
i know what you are refering to, as the low stage would not be hot enough to effectivly warm my house so it might run longer. when it's mild i will see. every furnace that i looked at was 2 stage except for one, the bottom rung on the totem pole. i personally think it's all a ploy to catch sales, but having one bell or whistle is better than having none, i'd be happy with just a working furnace...lol atleast my xmas will be warm even if it means $4000
Should be nice and comfortable.

2 stage units loose some efficiency in first stage. The radiant heat to the heat exchanger is lower in first stage since the flame isn't as hot. You'll 2 to 3 less efficient if they take their time to set up the furnace right.

But its hard to go wrong when you choose to get a 2 stage over a single stage. As long as its sized right.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:09 AM   #11
Hvac Pro

I agree. More comfort/less drafty feeling and people can set their tstat 1 degF lower which saves $$ due to less Delta T thru the walls. So there is the combustion efficiency vs actual heating cost debate.

Last edited by yuri; 12-15-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Should be nice and comfortable.

2 stage units loose some efficiency in first stage. The radiant heat to the heat exchanger is lower in first stage since the flame isn't as hot. You'll 2 to 3 less efficient if they take their time to set up the furnace right.

But its hard to go wrong when you choose to get a 2 stage over a single stage. As long as its sized right.
the guy came in last night. he took his own measurements and worked his calculator. he came up with a theory, based on my square footage (950sf). and based on a -50c outside temp and concluded 70,000btu. if he is wrong, how would i even know?? it kind of feels like i'm 20yrs old with an old broken down car in a mechanic shop. he can pretty much tell me what ever he wants. but i don't have a choice, it's the middle of winter. either i buck up now, or freeze.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
Hvac Pro

He is right. The next available size is 45,000 BTUs and way too small for you. We would use that size in Wpg and you get some REALLY cold weather like we do, just not as much. Thats where the 2 stage unit helps. Runs at 70% firing rate a lot of the time so it really is not 70,000 BTU.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
He is right. The next available size is 45,000 BTUs and way too small for you. We would use that size in Wpg and you get some REALLY cold weather like we do, just not as much. Thats where the 2 stage unit helps. Runs at 70% firing rate a lot of the time so it really is not 70,000 BTU.
the furnace is about to turn off for the 1st cycle of it's life..... right now... 22c on the nose! someone should ask how it all played out.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,734

How did it all played out?

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote