Newly Installed AC Unit Not Working - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Newly installed AC unit not working

I have a three-story house in the Hollywood Hills. It has three zones of AC. The upper and lower units are fine. The main unit in the middle of the house covers 2500 square feet of open space with a 24-foot ceiling.

I had a great 1985 Carrier unit with a newer Lennox 5 ton condenser. Last week the Carrier unit broke down. An AC man came and said the unit was leaking from the pan (it is up flow) and water had accumulated in the blower casing and burnt out the motor. He said it would take a week for parts and the unit was old and I should just replace it. It was 100 degrees outside, the weekend was approaching and he said he could do it that day for $3,000. I foolishly agreed.

He installed a Thermal Zone .80 rating 100,000 BTU units. I thought it was too small and asked him what the BTU was on the Carrier unit he took out. He never gave me the answer but I suspect it was larger. The new unit worked then stopped. The coil was freezing. He increased the blower motor speed. The coil does not freeze now. He added Freon and claims there is no Freon leak. But the unit never shuts down.

The old unit would cool the space from 85 to 74 in about 3 hours. The new unit ran for five hours today and only lowered the temp 2 degrees.The air coming out is strong. It is cool not cold.

I suspect the unit he removed was much larger and this unit is too small to cool the space. Any suggestions or ideas on the problems?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

Last edited by skye24F; 09-28-2012 at 02:57 AM.
skye24F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye24F View Post
I have a three-story house in the Hollywood Hills. It has three zones of AC. The upper and lower units are fine. The main unit in the middle of the house covers 2500 square feet of open space with a 24-foot ceiling.

I had a great 1985 Carrier unit with a newer Lennox 5 ton condenser. Last week the Carrier unit broke down. An AC man came and said the unit was leaking from the pan (it is up flow) and water had accumulated in the blower casing and burnt out the motor. He said it would take a week for parts and the unit was old and I should just replace it. It was 100 degrees outside, the weekend was approaching and he said he could do it that day for $3,000. I foolishly agreed.

He installed a Thermal Zone .80 rating 100,000 BTU units. I thought it was too small and asked him what the BTU was on the Carrier unit he took out. He never gave me the answer but I suspect it was larger. The new unit worked then stopped. The coil was freezing. He increased the blower motor speed. The coil does not freeze now. He added Freon and claims there is no Freon leak. But the unit never shuts down.

The old unit would cool the space from 85 to 74 in about 3 hours. The new unit ran for five hours today and only lowered the temp 2 degrees.The air coming out is strong. It is cool not cold.

I suspect the unit he removed was much larger and this unit is too small to cool the space. Any suggestions or ideas on the problems?

Thanks in advance
seems like things happened to quick....was a load calulation done ....if not ...start there to see just what size you do need.......if he did a proper install....and then have to add freon at a later date.....sounds like a leak to me???

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
skye24F (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Post a model number of the new furnace. It might or might not have a 5 ton blower in it but someone will know with a model number. Was anything else besides the furnace replaced?

Last edited by Marty S.; 09-28-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

if he replaced the air handler inside the only 2 places it would leak is his connections...that is if you never had freon added over the years.old unit sound like it gave you mint cooling over the years.the fan should be HI in cooling mode...is the air out of the registers as the old unit was? and that is BS on parts motor is a no brainer the pan might need work or was it just a blocked condensate line.if a charge isn't installed right the unit will just keep running.did you notice the revac of the system after he installed the new unit and before the freon was installed..was it new freon or did he recover your exsisting charge...put up the carrier model somebody will kick in with the BTU rating for you.any and all parts are availible for residential units..even if a condensate pan is pin holed leaking a sealer can be painted on..keep all your paper work on this guy.the unit is short of charge and or leaking....insulated suction line should be ice cold like a can of beer out of a cooler when fully charged...then thin copper out of the condenser should be warm to slightly hot on a Cali 100F day
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
skye24F (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

It was a quick and dirty job. It is too late anyway, follow the recommandations here and do the best you can to get it repaired/replaced.
Talk to the shops manager and see what they can do. You may want to get some data first before talk to them (like Delta T, subcool, super heat, freon pressures, manual J, etc. Call a different AC tech to check the unit and get all the data).
clocert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clocert For This Useful Post:
skye24F (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #6

The coil was replaced. Someone suggested to me that he may have bought a 410A coil and not replaced the TXV expansion valve to convert it to R22 - sound possible?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

Very possible or he may not have even installed any txv, left it a piston which is what comes with the coil. You have to separately order and install the txv on most coils.

We need to know air temps at the closest supply register to the unit and the air temp at the return grill.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

And if it were a piston on the old coil that matched that Lennox condenser he may not have switched the new coil's piston out. He'd need to use that old piston as the metering matches the condenser. Hopefully when the Lennox was installed they installed the correct piston in the evaporator coil.

If it's a piston, if not than only the txv matters.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,712

Post model number of the new indoor coil.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #10

Cool

I got the model number of the 1985 Carrier unit he removed.
It is 58SS8095-DC. Any way I can determine the specs of the removed unit?
He claims to have installed an R22 coil. Temp at vents is 55 which I believe is correct.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,712

Looks like an 80% 95,000 BTU.

Can't find a listing for a 58SS. 58STX, or a 58STA is what I find listings for.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hvac help