Newbie Needs Help With Furnace Issues - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Newbie needs help with furnace issues

Hello Everyone and Thanks to all the experts who help the DIYselfer's with solutions. I have a Carrier Weathermaker 8000, approx 13 years old. My problem is as follows; yesterday when i got home, the house was chilly and the blower motor was making a loud humming noise. I pulled the motor and called an electrician buddy of mine for a motor to get me through to Monday morning.

I picked up a motor, and capacitor, from an authorized Carrier dealer this morning, to the tune of $280.00 and change. The motor wasnt an exact match as it had a longer shaft and was a reversable motor. The sales agent assured me it would work if i just cut the shaft down, i did as instructed.

Well got the new motor in and started the furnace, nothing but a low humm, so i gave it a booster start. It started and ran fine, untill it shut down and needed to start again, another booster start. After a while i truned the furnace motor to run from my thermostat.

While watching to ensure the motor would stay running, im still not convinced, the burners would only run approc 90 seconds before shutting down and giving me either a error code of 33 or 13. I pulled the lockout switch, and cleaned it. i think this may be the problem as the switch doenst really feel like it operates as a switch, no click on or off.

I must admit, as ashamed as i am, the furnace was dirty. I pulled everything off independantly and cleaned it to no avail.

I thought perhaps i could bypass the lockout switch, but that didnt work either.

Lucky we have a self cleaning oven, we started it about an hour ago to take the chill off.

I'm comfortable with teh 60 degrees it is in here now, but i'm not mr. popular with the family about now.

Any suggestions would be most helpfull

Thanks again for everyone's advise!

Advertisement

Deaddogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,100

need to check the capacitor and voltage to the motor. I use universal motors all the time. Normally dont have to cut the shaft down on blower motors though. Code 33 is temp limit code. motor is probably not running at correct speed due to low volt or bad cap.

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #3

I did replace the capacitor this morning as well as the switch that i though be problematic, no better.

I'm now thinking that the motor may not be running at the correct speed, beyond my scope of determining.

I called a repair tech to sort it out now
Old 03-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
how

Rewards Points: 624

The low hum does suggest a voltage problem especially since your new motor/capaciter is having the same difficulty as your last motor/capaciter . Make sure your friend checks out the voltage at the board where the motors heating connection and the motors white neutral are connected.

Most furnaces will take longer than 90 sec to limit out if a properly running fan is connected to a lower speed. . It won't solve the motor starting difficulty but while you are in there make sure that your new motor is turning the fan cage in the correct direction?

Last edited by how; 03-22-2011 at 05:28 PM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #5

Ok, so as I said i called a technician in as i was baffled, should have gone with my instinct and just exchanged the motor. As it turns out the tech was here for about an hour, and i heard a lot of "whys it doing that" why did it blow the fuse" it shouldn't do that" thats wierd" etc..

Bottom line is he gave me a few options of what the problem might be and why. I exchanged the motor, installed a new " limit switch? " installed them, and we are good to go.

Again, I just want to thank you all for your assistance in getting me off the "#$@#" list.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

wow it sounds like youve got some problems.The tech you called sounds pretty green tho.Well everybodys got to start out somewhere.Check this out Have you checked the cooling coil to make sure the fins are clean to allow proper air flow thru them.If the filters dont get changed properly or a cheaper style is used than theres a good chance dirt has gotten past it and plugged your cooling coil.Now thats a pretty good lead to a problem to start at.Ive used a number of universal motors to save money for my customer.The biggest issue is match up the Horse power and more importantly definitly match up the amp draw.You can go a little over ,Not a lot but dont ever go under the amp rating. You stated you have to give the motor a jump start ,well it sounds like the capacitor is defective.You need to ck the rotation on the blower motor.If the motor is turning the wrong way it will not have proper air flow and cause the unit to trip on limit as well.I hope this info helped.If all these things ck out good.youll want to increase the speed on it
usually the color codes for motor taps are as follows.black is high speed blue is a medium speed and red is a low speed.than common is usually a white or possibly a yellow wire. If you look on the motor itself it should have a diagrahm on it to assist in any wiring situations.Good luck and repost your results!we all like to know how it turns out for you!
1mastertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Im sorry ,I missed some of the other posts.Check the wiring connection{power}thats hooked to the control board.make sure that the wire going to the board is correct.refer to the man.diagrahm .The black will go to the cooling terminal on the board the red or blue wire goes to the terminal marked heat.You probably have terminals marked park on it thats the tap speeds that arent being used.It sounds like the motor isnt wired correctly off the board.It also sounds like the motor isnt turning in the right direction.Usually theres 2 brown wires that are for the caP ITSELF MAKE SURE THE BROWN WIRES ARE GOING TO THAT.iF THE MOTORS NOT TURNING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION THERES A SMALLER SET OF WIRES THAT HAVE A PLUG THAT CONNECTS THEM AND YOU CAN JUST DISCONNECT AND TURN THE PLUG AROUND AND THAT WILL CHANGE THE DIRECTION OF THE MOTOR mAKE SURE THAT POWER IS OFF WHILE CHECKING OR DOING THESE STEPS.dONT WANT YOU TO CURL YOUR HAIR,WIFE MAY NOT LIKE THAT AND YOULL HAVE A VERY GOOD SHOCKING EXPIRIENCE WITH IT AS WELL! SERIOUSLY THO BE SAFE!

Advertisement

1mastertech is offline   Reply With Quote