New Trane A/C System Installed - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Trane A/C system installed

Just had a new Trane 4TWR5036E1000A heat pump condenser and 4TEEF40B1000A Var speed AH installed. When first installed, unit was putting out 54* air. Now fluctuates between 60-62. I think must have a small leak, but not sure.

Some questions: Does this system have the ability to regulate supply air temp or shouldn't the SA temp be the same laving the coil? Set points are being reached, but does not feel as cool as expected. Installer to come back next week for follow up, unless I insist on sooner.

Shouldn't SA temp leaving the coil be less than 58*?

Anyone know where to get owners manuals of Trane AHs online? When I plug in that model #, I get nothing. Trane's site says to get manuals from dealer. One was not in the box, so they have to get me one. But thought I could answer some questions with online pdf.

Advertisement

remnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

The supply temp will vary according to the return air temp and humidity and load on the machine which includes outdoor temp and humidity. They will check the parameters or should with their freon gauges and check the subcooling or superheat and compare it to Trane's specs. The supply air temp and amount of cooling is regulated by the TX thermostatic expansion valve and the speed of the fan which varies according to how clean your filter is. Lots of variables.

Some lite reading for you:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-bulb_temperature

read dry bulb temp also.

Advertisement

Last edited by yuri; 08-21-2010 at 01:55 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #3

OK, my brain hurts!

I understand the jist of that. BUt when the system was first turned on Thu pm, 54* air coming out. House had been out of A/C since 9am. System dropped inside temp from 82 to 76 in less than 45 min. Later seemed to maintain setpoint, but doesn't feel right. Old system put out 54-55* nonstop. Just had other AH problems, not to mention the condenser was 24 years old.

Outside air temps - 72-90+
Outside humidity 60-95%+
Inside temps - 75-77
Inside humidity - 52-58%

Maybe it is all in my head, since the old system was in use for so long. But I just want to know if new system coil temp can vary by so much and why it would be 54* at startup and now varies between 60-62 near unit. Is that normal based on above conditions?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

I/we would have to be there and check all the parameters, dry bulb/wet bulb etc. The old school units used to produce 20 degF Delta T. That is the temp difference between the return and supply temps in my area of average 50% outdoor RH. The new units I work on with variable speed ECM blowers and TX valves tend to be around 16 deg Delta T. The newer higher SEER units have physically larger coils to be more efficient and more powerful blowers. They have different Delta T than the old school units but with the same amount of cooling. Your installer needs to check it properly. NICELY ask him to show you the readings and Trane chart so you feel better. Ask him to set the blower for 400 cfm/ton so you get maximum de-humidifying. Lots of installers just use the out of box factory settings and they are usually too high.

Last edited by yuri; 08-21-2010 at 02:30 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,688

As Yuri said. Air temp varies with indoor and outdoor temp, along with indoor humidity.

So may or may not be something wrong with yours.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #6

I do plan to do that - ask nicely. Installer is a small 6 person shop - 3in, 3out.

Just checked the delta between SA = 61.2 and RA = 74.8. Humidity inside = 56%; outside = 91%. Something seems wrong here.

BTW-Thermometer is digital, checked against another digital and old analog (small round kind A/C techs used to use before the heat guns came along). All record within +/- 1*.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,688

It might have a leak, and be low on charge.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #8

Your delta T, or reutrn - supply, will vary if the variable drive on the furnace is ramping. Out of the box the Trane v drive will be set to high speed and with a call for cooling start at around 60% and not reach high for around 12 minutes to help with humidity removal. If your temp drop is great on start up and gets worst after 10 minutes it may be moving to much air and give you a lower temp drop (temp drop = capacity/(1.08 x cfm) capacity in btu's 1 ton = 12,000. This will not take the latent load (humidity) in consideration but will the sensible load usually 80% of the capacity. Most v drives can move in excess of the rated tonnage, up to 20% more this allows the one model to be used in diff applications.

Kevis S
ownwer operator
lennoxoemparts

Advertisement

kevins is offline   Reply With Quote