DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   New test being conducted! Still hvac issue! (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/new-test-being-conducted-still-hvac-issue-30294/)

MrShadetree0222 10-20-2008 11:33 PM

New test being conducted! Still hvac issue!
 
Help assist if you can!!!

My test is to test my theory that since thier is no insulation in the floors of the lowerlevel, and i have just recently (2 weeks ago), I removed over 20" of crawl space out from under the house, to give me better crawl room, while working under the house, Have I jeopordized the god given insulation out from under the house!

This is a follow up to my previous post, in regards to Thermostat-VS-ceiling fans! http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/thermostat-vs-ceiling-fan-30239/

I have relocated all lower floor thermometers to floor level 8" off the floor. Now during my last test, I had located the thermometers at 5 feet from the floor in a 9' heighted rooms! And during the last series of tests, i was able to determine that the room temps, stay/hold, and maintain within 1' degree of thermostat setting(proven).

Now with my thermometers located 8" off the floor in all of the lower level rooms, the tempurature at the floor level is 3'degrees variance from what the thermostat is set at! Now could this be an issue since i removed the god given insulatation out form under the house( previous crawl room, was 10"-18" of crawl, and now it is a full 36" of crawl all the way through) to give me better crawl space? And can this be contributing to my ceiling fans producing enough cool air to continue to circulate enough cold air for the thermostat to continuasly run on and off, while ceiling fans are in operation?
When ceiling fans are not in operation the hvac runs as it should, but when running it causes the hvac to run continuously. So if i were to insulate the floors under the house could I or would I be able to maintain a better more stable tempurature in the rooms even at ground level? I already have the insulation on hand, so no purchase required to do this if it will better stabalize the temps in the lower floor room temps!

Just a thought, and if you have a thought or a test you wish for me to perform to better resolve the maximum efficiency of my house, then please feel free to put it out thier! I really and truely do want absolute efficiency out of my house!

Thank you so much for everyones input during my ignorance stage of learning hvac the hard! I have go tot tell you it has been alot of fun performing all the different expiraments and testing theorys and hypothesis' of the different issues in the process of seeking absolute efficiency of my house!

I am sure their are alot of other things i could be doing with my time and energy(deer season just started this past weekend), but i have got onto somethinig that really has my brain and skills working and makes me feel good to be able to perform tests, and use my skills and lack of education for a good use!

ScottR 10-20-2008 11:44 PM

Hi ShadeTree,

I followed your last thread, and was interested to see how the ceiling fan debate went.

On this one I'm sure I won't be the only one to say: INSULATE!

You'll get a lot more efficiency out of your house with insulation than ceiling fans. (Not being sarcastic.. but priorities are priorities..)

That must have been quite a project to dig out 20" in a crawlspace. Good deal!

BTW - I went to school in the main Buffalo.. Where's the "other Buffalo"? :)

hvaclover 10-21-2008 12:07 AM

Hey Shadetree!

Got a riiddle for you: What gets bigger the more you take away from it?

MrShadetree0222 10-21-2008 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottR (Post 174590)
Hi ShadeTree,


That must have been quite a project to dig out 20" in a crawlspace. Good deal!
I am still sore from that ordeal!
BTW - I went to school in the main Buffalo.. Where's the "other Buffalo"? :)

the other Buffalo is in West Virginia, just north west of Charleston/capitol city.

MrShadetree0222 10-21-2008 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvaclover (Post 174606)
Hey Shadetree!

Got a riiddle for you: What gets bigger the more you take away from it?

Space? Air? I am sorry if i am way off, but again i am uneducated, so probably not qualified to to give the correct answer to the riddle! but if i must ponder the question before you give me the answer then i will research to the best of my ability and try to come up wiht the answer to the riddle!

ScottR 10-21-2008 12:20 AM

Quote:

Got a riiddle for you: What gets bigger the more you take away from it?
Heat loss?

Sorry, I know u asked ShadeTree... :icon_cheesygrin:

Quote:

the other Buffalo is in West Virginia, just north west of Charleston/capitol city.
Gotcha.. just curious.. :)

ScottR 10-21-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

but if i must ponder the question before you give me the answer then i will research to the best of my ability and try to come up wiht the answer to the riddle!
Woops.. Didn't see ur post..

Then again, I may have completely misunderstood his riddle anyways and not given anything away.

MrShadetree0222 10-21-2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvaclover (Post 174606)
Hey Shadetree!

Got a riiddle for you: What gets bigger the more you take away from it?


Definitions of air on the Web:
  • a mixture of gases (especially oxygen) required for breathing; the stuff that the wind consists of; "air pollution"; "a smell of chemicals in the ...
  • the region above the ground; "her hand stopped in mid air"; "he threw the ball into the air"
Definitions of space on the Web:

  • an empty area (usually bounded in some way between things); "the architect left space in front of the building"; "they stopped at an open space in the jungle"; "the space between his teeth"
  • an area reserved for some particular purpose; "the laboratory's floor space"
Definitions of area on the Web:
  • a particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or ...
  • a part of a structure having some specific characteristic or function; "the spacious cooking area provided plenty of room for servants"
  • the extent of a 2-dimensional surface enclosed within a boundary; "the area of a rectangle"; "it was about 500 square feet in area"
  • Well after reading a few definitions that I thought filled the riddle, I would say that SPACE' gets bigger the more you take away from it!
  • What do i win? Was i right?
Are you going to answer me now assuming i got the riddle right? Will insulating the floor joists asssist with the temperature variance at floor level causing the ceiling fan to circulate cooler air to the thermostat causing to cycle on off repeatedly?

KHouse75 10-21-2008 01:15 AM

Holy priceless collection of Etruscan snoods! Batman. I don't think that's the correct answer.

MrShadetree0222 10-21-2008 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KHouse75 (Post 174635)
Holy priceless collection of Etruscan snoods! Batman. I don't think that's the correct answer.

Before you come in here smashing me for my lack of education I do belive that you need to learn the definition for terms you are using!!!!


Definitions of Etruscan on the Web:
  • was a language spoken and written in the ancient region of Etruria (current Tuscany) and in parts of what are now Lombardy, Veneto, and Emilia ...
  • A 19 th -century Antique Revival style of jewelry resembling that wich was produced in Tuscany, central Italy, during the 7 th to 6 th centuries ...
  • a native or inhabitant of ancient Etruria; the Etruscans influenced the Romans (who had suppressed them by about 200 BC)

MrShadetree0222 10-21-2008 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KHouse75 (Post 174635)
Holy priceless collection of Etruscan snoods! Batman. I don't think that's the correct answer.

No definitions were found for snoods.
Intelligent man had a bunch of big words in his mental dictionary and didnt even know how to properly use them in the "putdown" he put on me!!!!!lol,lol,lol,lol,lol,

hvaclover 10-21-2008 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KHouse75 (Post 174635)
Holy priceless collection of Etruscan snoods! Batman. I don't think that's the correct answer.


"Well Little Chum , Do you want to tell him or should I"?

Blam SPLAT Ka POW!

(ya know people are gonna guess how old we from that ols joke, dont you khouse/)

KHouse75 10-21-2008 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrShadetree0222 (Post 174640)
No definitions were found for snoods.
Intelligent man had a bunch of big words in his mental dictionary and didnt even know how to properly use them in the "putdown" he put on me!!!!!lol,lol,lol,lol,lol,

:no: Sometimes it helps to sit back, read what you typed and ask yourself "Self...Should I really hit the submit key or am I just letting my emotions take over? Maybe this person wasn't insulting me and I just seriously misinterpreted what he wrote."

"Holy priceless collection of Etruscan snoods!" is a quote from the original Batman series and was a hint to your riddle which was also used in the original Batman series.

A ceiling fan doesn't cool the air. It cools your skin due to evaporative cooling. Unless your thermostat had a wet-bulb, the fan, by itself, isn't going to cause the HVAC to come on. The heat from the motor could warm the air some but I don't think it would be enough to raise the temperature in your house significantly.

So, my guess is, you have some major air leaking into your house and/or the lack of insulation in your crawlspace is allowing major heat loss. By turning on the ceiling fan you are circulating the cool air from the floor through the house. If the heat loss is great enough through the floor and even walls and ceiling, the hvac would definitlely cycle more often.

Insulate the floor and enjoy a much more comfortable, constant temperature in your house.

hvaclover 10-21-2008 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KHouse75 (Post 174645)
:no: Sometimes it helps to sit back, read what you typed and ask yourself "Self...Should I really hit the submit key or am I just letting my emotions take over? Maybe this person wasn't insulting me and I just seriously misinterpreted what he wrote."

"Holy priceless collection of Etruscan snoods!" is a quote from the original Batman series and was a hint to your riddle which was also used in the original Batman series.

A ceiling fan doesn't cool the air. It cools your skin due to evaporative cooling. Unless your thermostat had a wet-bulb, the fan, by itself, isn't going to cause the HVAC to come on. The heat from the motor could warm the air some but I don't think it would be enough to raise the temperature in your house significantly.

So, my guess is, you have some major air leaking into your house and/or the lack of insulation in your crawlspace is allowing major heat loss. By turning on the ceiling fan you are circulating the cool air from the floor through the house. If the heat loss is great enough through the floor and even walls and ceiling, the hvac would definitlely cycle more often.

Insulate the floor and enjoy a much more comfortable, constant temperature in your house.

It's a hole.



SHADETREEE you gotta lighten up man , you are too thin skinned.

Did they chek your home for lead paint dude?

MrShadetree0222 10-21-2008 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvaclover (Post 174646)
It's a hole.



SHADETREEE you gotta lighten up man , you are too thin skinned.

Did they chek your home for lead paint dude?

I wasnt a class clown what times I was in school, I went to school for an education! And as this posted started I am seeking education for an unintelligent person(myself) to be able to carry this knowledged with me for the rest of my life!
So no humor taken in the funny joke, and besides i thought when you were quating something it was to be put in quatations""""""(learned that in 7th grade)as to inform whomever was to read the typed text would then know that a quate was being givin and no an insult!
I have stressed on mor ethen one occasion at the seriousness of seeking the absolute most efficienct operations for my house!
When i am in this mental state of mind their are no games or jokes, or humor to be taken, i take everything serious, as I am not one to turn my nose in the air when someone is trying to teach me something i dont know!
Could you imagine trying to teach someone something and they are looking around, looking at the fllor or the sky, or picking thier nose, or whatever they were doing not showing any signs of interest in what you are trying to teach them!
Now if you cant respect me for that then their are several choice words i have in mind for you, that I have taken liberty not to use in this format! But i am sure you can get where i am going with this!

Wow i really need to consider what kind of other folks are in this world! Not everyone was raised the way I was, I was raised when an elder/knowledged individual is trying to teach you something or show you something then you give them 100% of all your attention you look them right dead in their eyes, and you not only hear what they are saying but you HEAR, what they are saying!
And yes a lead inspection was done and no lead detected!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.