Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #1

Share |
Question

New register openings?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, hopefully my question has not been asked before, my apologies in advance if it has.

I am renovating my first house (an 1150 sq. ft. ranch built in 1971) on a budget. One of the goals is to update the look of the interior (obviously) while I renovate, so I really wanted to get rid of the hideous old baseboard registers and convert them into floor registers.

I know there are a lot of technical things involved in hvac, so I want to make sure it's okay to change a 2 1/2"x12" vent opening to a 4"x10" one.

You should know that the hvac system is completely shot and will need a complete replacement, so I am not really worried about current system or lines, etc. I just basically need to know if it is okay to go ahead with this so that I can cut the holes and start putting the flooring down.
Emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #2

New register openings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcee View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum, hopefully my question has not been asked before, my apologies in advance if it has. I am renovating my first house (an 1150 sq. ft. ranch built in 1971) on a budget. One of the goals is to update the look of the interior (obviously) while I renovate, so I really wanted to get rid of the hideous old baseboard registers and convert them into floor registers.
I know there are a lot of technical things involved in hvac, so I want to make sure it's okay to change a 2 1/2"x12" vent opening to a 4"x10" one. You should know that the hvac system is completely shot and will need a complete replacement, so I am not really worried about current system or lines, etc. I just basically need to know if it is okay to go ahead with this so that I can cut the holes and start putting the flooring down.
yep you can install 4x10 ...ben sr
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
REP

New register openings?

They are almost the same size cfm wise,no need to change them.It is really more importyant to have as many cold air returns as possible.Returns make the house more comfortrable and lets the furnace breath better if sized right.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #4

New register openings?

Thanks guys. I know I don't have to replace them, just personal preference.
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't messing with capability of the unit by doing so.
Emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
HVAC Tech/Owner

New register openings?

If it was my house.....

Would do a load calculation...would determine how much air needed to be delivered to the room...would determine how many and what size vents needed to be supplied to the room and then start hacking away at the hardwood floor.
Technow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #6

New register openings?

[quote=Technow;1081278]If it was my house.....

Would do a load calculation...would determine how much air needed to be delivered to the room...would determine how many and what size vents needed to be supplied to the room and then start hacking away at the hardwood floor.[/quote

oh my......
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
HVAC Tech/Owner

New register openings?

[quote=carmon;1081547]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technow View Post
If it was my house.....

Would do a load calculation...would determine how much air needed to be delivered to the room...would determine how many and what size vents needed to be supplied to the room and then start hacking away at the hardwood floor.[/quote

oh my......
??

How much cfm needs to be delivered to the room?

2x12 is 70cfm

4x 10 is 120 cfm at same face velocity and proper spread and throw. I can cut in any size...but what is actually needed for the room? 1- 4x12? 2-4x10's ? 3-2x12's??
Technow is online now   Reply With Quote