Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #1

Share |

New or old???

I currently have a 2006 utica hot water boiler that is vented illegally up an unlined chimney. It is a very inefficient unit. I am trying to decided if it would make sense to invest in a new high efficiency direct vented boiler or should I just buy a powerventer to attach to my old furnace and vent it out the side wall. Along with suggestions of what I should do could everyone include suggestions on manufacturers. Thank you very much for your opinions.

Beronicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #2

New or old???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beronicles View Post
I currently have a 2006 utica hot water boiler that is vented illegally up an unlined chimney. It is a very inefficient unit. I am trying to decided if it would make sense to invest in a new high efficiency direct vented boiler or should I just buy a powerventer to attach to my old furnace and vent it out the side wall. Along with suggestions of what I should do could everyone include suggestions on manufacturers. Thank you very much for your opinions.
2006 boiler not old at all....why not line the chimney with a flue linner.....then tweak the system for more efficiency...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #3

New or old???

I got an edtimate for that in the 1500-2000 dollar range. House is old and the chimney runs through the center of the house. I am thinking about removing the chimney anyways due to water issues around the roof. What kind of tweaking can one do?
Old 10-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #4

New or old???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beronicles View Post
I got an edtimate for that in the 1500-2000 dollar range. House is old and the chimney runs through the center of the house. I am thinking about removing the chimney anyways due to water issues around the roof. What kind of tweaking can one do?
1500.00 -2000.00 for a flue linner where do you live and is it 100' high....,,if your going to replace boiler because you want to remove chimney thats one thing.....tweaking can come from pump control to outside sensors ..etc... is it just a standard boiler...standing pilot....spark ignition... damper.....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #5

New or old???

It's about 50' chimney in Richmond, va. They also told me they don't last a real long time. The boiler is standard as far as I know. No outdoor sensor. Electronic ignition natural gas. There is a damper. How much money would I be saving with a high efficiency unit? Sounds like power Venter might be the best bet? Would I be saving money now just to spend more later?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #6

New or old???

First of all...it's not unusual for a boiler to last 30, 40 or even 50 years. If it's inefficient then it's not installed or adjusted properly. And the reason your installation is illegal is that the condensation the boiler creates is rotting away the mortar in the joints of your old chimney. This will eventually lead to carbon monoxide leaks within your home. This shouldn't be taken lightly and needs to be addressed immediately. You don't want the consequences.
ben's plumbing (10-03-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #7

New or old???

So, what is the old furnace..if all it needs is a power ventor it may be more efficient and less costly to operate...do you have both hot water and forced air systems in the house OR did I misunderstand and the other unit is actually another Boiler..can't quite get the picture..

As for your 2006 boiler..it should be as efficient OR more efficient than the furnace..depending on models..but you DEFINITELY do not want to continue operating it without a flue liner OR you could wake up dead one morning..Carbon Monoxide gases are colorless and odorless ..that's why they call it the silent killer

If we had more info RE your equipment..make and type.age of furnace..if it can be direct vented it is likely Hi Efficiency
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #8

New or old???

I just looked up info on Utica website..what model is your boiler..they all look fairly efficient and if you have a TRB 3 pass it is the most efficient..perhaps you need to have your boiler cleaned and tuned up as well as a flue liner

Your energy costs are also greatly affected by the house construction as well..insulation, windows, doors, size and many other factors..can you provide more info as to why you are considering switching to forced air or a new boiler?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #9

New or old???

I just have a natural gas hot water boiler for heat. It is a 2006 Utica MGB150HID 150k btu input. I am starting to lean towards the power venter. I was looking at the field controls unit. Right now my exhaust pipe is around 8-10" am I able to reduce that to 4" to fit the field controls power venter? The main reason I want to change is because I no longer want to vent up the unlined chimney for safety reasons. Originally I was thinking of going for a high efficiency direct vented unit like the knight condensing boiler. Now I am thinking it would be more cost effective to just keep my not so old unit and get a power venter. I do not want to line my chimney because I am finding that to be expensive and something that will not last forever. Also I have water problems at the roof line and plan to remove it. Thank you everyone for your input. It has helped a lot already.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #10

New or old???

what model boiler do you have then can better tell you about ventor
Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #11

New or old???

Boiler is a 2006 Utica MGB150HID 150k BTU Input. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #12

New or old???

Checked Utica website and could not locate your exact model however it appears you are not allowed to reduce flue size EXCEPT for as per ANSI Code..MAYBE.. I would recommend you contact Utica Rep to determine if this can be done..power ventor would increase venting through smaller pipe but may also affect combustion and temperatures inside combustion chamber AND combustion processes so, it would have to be a model that is approved for that application..sorry I can't be of more assistance at this time.

WEB SITE AT URL BELOW

http://www.uticaboilers.com/product_detail.asp?key=267
Old 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

New or old???

You can reduce down to the power venters size at the power venter. You will also need to have a 1/4" upward slope all the way to the power venter. Do you have that much head room from your boiler to where you ant to put the power venter. The discharge of the power venter must be 12" above normal snow fall accumulation level.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #14

New or old???

beenthere...I presume that is 1/4" per foot.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

New or old???

Quote:
Originally Posted by techpappy View Post
beenthere...I presume that is 1/4" per foot.
LOL, ya, thought I typed that part too, but obviously didn't. thanks for the catch.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote