Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #1

Share |

New Oil furnace and Ac, also add heat pump?

Hey folks!

I just bought a small 1200 sq foot house (1 floor, no basement) and am replacing the old oil furnace. no gas is available in my area so I'm forced to stick with oil. I live in Rhode Island so it can get cold here in the winters (although, not this year!) The current system has forced hot air, I'll be replacing all the ducts myself since im doing other remodeling and have easy access to everything right now. i'm also plan to install central AC at the same time and have been thinking about doing a heat pump instead of just an AC compressor seeing as how it doesn't appear to be THAT much more expensive. I'm told the system can be setup in such a way that it will use the heat pump to keep the temp at a certain level and if it dips below it will use the furnace (by doing this I will be able to burn less oil).

I'm lucky enough to have a employee of my father's who also happens to be a licensed furnace tech and has access to buying all the components at wholesale. (part of what he did at his old job, although he hasn't done a heat pump system before)

so, looking for any thoughts on this type of setup, does it make sense? is it overkill in a small house? any drawbacks or things im not thinking of? any help would be most appreciated!

drnick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #2

As small as this house is and as far north as you are If it was mine I would just replace the furnace and use window A/C units.
If you decide to go with gas there no reason your local gas company can not just set a tank in the yard or even under ground for you.
The colder it is in winter the less effeant a heat pump is.
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...sulation_table
Make sure to take a look at the windows and attic insulation, that where your going to be lossing most of your heat.

Last edited by joecaption; 03-30-2012 at 12:08 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Whats your current cost for oil, and what is your electric rate?
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

I'm not a pro but last year when my central AC died, I replaced it with a heat pump. As you said, it only costs a little more. I like having the options of using the electric heat pump or a gas furnace. I also like the ability to operate the gas furnace off a small 120 V generator in the event of a power failure. I have no way to operate the 240 V heat pump in that case.
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #5

In Maine, I would not recommend a Heat Pump. Save the extra Money. You will hardly ever get to use it. I would do central AC though.
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #6

thanks for the replies!

I looked up my utility bills and I totaled approx 12.722/kwh for electric, and local oil price are about $3.79 on average. I found a quick calculator online that compared the two (figuring in 83% efficiency from the oil furnace) and it showed electric is actually more expensive then oil per month.

32.62 per Million BTU of Heat delivered to home
$3,098.90 per year for normal home for Oil

vs

$37.50 per Million BTU of Heat delivered to home
$3,562.50 per year for normal home for Electric

so it seems that based on that alone, it doesn't seem to make sense to go the heat pump route. does it?

As i'm redoing the house I'll be replacing the insulation with newer more efficient stuff. My electric company also has a program where they will perform an energy audit and install spray in insulation while picking up 80% of the cost. (and also let you finance the remaining 20% over a year on your electric bill) I'm on the waiting list (which is about 7 weeks out) so im only going to currently replace the insulation on walls i'm opening up.

any suggestions as to what furnace to get? its so hard to find pricing online, but I see people speaking highly about lennox units, no idea how much they run. I see others talking about variable speeds blowers and other features. should I be looking into these?
drnick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
REP

The only oil furnace I reccomend is a ThermoPride with the updated blower system.
Of course any furnace would be a big mistake without a manual "J" ,,,AND a manual "D".
If you are going to do it,do it right.
It blows my mind when people don't see the advantage of doing a proper prep job before investing a lot of labor only to find out how bad an idea or a guess it was after its all done.
I also really like their a/c unit.Its a very strong unit.It may not be the most effient unit,but its not bad and it is built like a tank.and the warranty is good too.

Last edited by REP; 03-31-2012 at 12:11 AM.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:38 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnick5 View Post
thanks for the replies!

I looked up my utility bills and I totaled approx 12.722/kwh for electric, and local oil price are about $3.79 on average. I found a quick calculator online that compared the two (figuring in 83% efficiency from the oil furnace) and it showed electric is actually more expensive then oil per month.

32.62 per Million BTU of Heat delivered to home
$3,098.90 per year for normal home for Oil

vs

$37.50 per Million BTU of Heat delivered to home
$3,562.50 per year for normal home for Electric

so it seems that based on that alone, it doesn't seem to make sense to go the heat pump route. does it?

As i'm redoing the house I'll be replacing the insulation with newer more efficient stuff. My electric company also has a program where they will perform an energy audit and install spray in insulation while picking up 80% of the cost. (and also let you finance the remaining 20% over a year on your electric bill) I'm on the waiting list (which is about 7 weeks out) so im only going to currently replace the insulation on walls i'm opening up.

any suggestions as to what furnace to get? its so hard to find pricing online, but I see people speaking highly about lennox units, no idea how much they run. I see others talking about variable speeds blowers and other features. should I be looking into these?
You didn't adjust the electric for the COP of the heat pump. Using your 12.722 cents per KWH, a heat pump at a low COP of 1.5 is $24.85 per million BTUs of heat delivered. At a COP of 2 its $18.63 per million BTUs of delivered heat.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote