DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

new napoleon vent free lp fireplace won't light from the pilot light

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  how 
#1 ·
my new napoleon vent free lp fireplace will light using a butane lighter only. it won't light from the pilot light. local gas co. says pilot light looks good , they don't know why burner pan won't light .

#3 ·
the burner pan can be lit by hand, but not with the pilot light. the pilot light is lit and looks great, but when the gas valve is switched on the burner will not light, you can here the valve click and open, smell gas but it won't light. unless you light it by hand or blow on it. Pilot light remains on etc.

#4 ·
It makes me wonder if the pilot flame is in the right position. (a bit too far away from the pan gas output to ignite it.) Is there a runner bar on that unit to bring the pan gas close enough to the pilot to ignite it. Are some of the holes in the runner bar near the pilot flame blocked or plugged.
Pic's would help.

#6 ·
While I agree with where this thread is going,I must present my personal held beliefs.
You do understand that the products of combustion are CO and CO2.If you are not venting these products then you are adding them to your house air.
Since these are odorless and colorless you would never notice if they climbed up high enough to cause you physical harm i.e. headaches ,stuffyness,fatigue etc..These can all happen without killing you but do indicate a level very close to a deadly level.
If I had anything to do with it,I would outlaw any "ventless" units period.
Even if you follow safe practices and open a window while operating ,those gases will still be brought into your lungs and then your brains.
If you can't light your unit ,maybe fate is telling you something.

#7 ·
I run into too many co cases to disagree with you Rep. I personally wouldn't even turn on my top gas stove burner to boil tea without putting on the overhead exhaust fan at the same time. They always seem to be finding longer and more far reaching organ damage from co every year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.