DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   new napoleon vent free lp fireplace won't light from the pilot light (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/new-napoleon-vent-free-lp-fireplace-wont-light-pilot-light-122665/)

jr6006 11-07-2011 12:53 PM

new napoleon vent free lp fireplace won't light from the pilot light
 
my new napoleon vent free lp fireplace will light using a butane lighter only. it won't light from the pilot light. local gas co. says pilot light looks good , they don't know why burner pan won't light .

how 11-07-2011 09:30 PM

Are you saying that the fireplace pilot can be lit manually but it won't light through the igniter?
Or are you saying that the burner pan can be manually lit but not by the pilot.

jr6006 11-08-2011 01:16 PM

the burner pan can be lit by hand, but not with the pilot light. the pilot light is lit and looks great, but when the gas valve is switched on the burner will not light, you can here the valve click and open, smell gas but it won't light. unless you light it by hand or blow on it. Pilot light remains on etc.

how 11-08-2011 07:41 PM

It makes me wonder if the pilot flame is in the right position. (a bit too far away from the pan gas output to ignite it.) Is there a runner bar on that unit to bring the pan gas close enough to the pilot to ignite it. Are some of the holes in the runner bar near the pilot flame blocked or plugged.
Pic's would help.

ben's plumbing 11-08-2011 07:51 PM

yes I agree with how ...is pilot even big enough to lite burnner...may check to see if pilot is weak......ben

REP 11-08-2011 08:57 PM

While I agree with where this thread is going,I must present my personal held beliefs.
You do understand that the products of combustion are CO and CO2.If you are not venting these products then you are adding them to your house air.
Since these are odorless and colorless you would never notice if they climbed up high enough to cause you physical harm i.e. headaches ,stuffyness,fatigue etc..These can all happen without killing you but do indicate a level very close to a deadly level.
If I had anything to do with it,I would outlaw any "ventless" units period.
Even if you follow safe practices and open a window while operating ,those gases will still be brought into your lungs and then your brains.
If you can't light your unit ,maybe fate is telling you something.

how 11-08-2011 09:56 PM

I run into too many co cases to disagree with you Rep. I personally wouldn't even turn on my top gas stove burner to boil tea without putting on the overhead exhaust fan at the same time. They always seem to be finding longer and more far reaching organ damage from co every year.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved