Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #1

Share |

New Mini Split Heat Pump Not Working

Re: Fujitsu 15000 BTU, 21.5 Seer Heat Pump (Outside Condenser + Wall Unit).

Hello--

Sorry for the length of what follows(!).

I have kind of unique situation regarding a new mini split mentioned above. We just bought our house here in Washington, DC, and previous owner had either just installed unit himself or had it professionally installed.... Unfortunately, there's no way for us to find out as he moved back to his native Romania (and we have the manuals but no signatures or receipts of HVAC personnel or the like). We bought the house "as is" which means inspector did not even bother with the A.C. unit (or if he did we were too stressed about the purchase to pay proper attention, and we would have paid the same for the house even if unit was not installed). Either way, I noticed the 20 amp circuit breaker was off and turned it on today as it will be getting quite hot here soon. The remote has new batteries and is displaying just fine. But nothing happens when I hit the power button on the remote.

Before calling an HVAC professional and/or an electrician, I'd like to see if I can get an idea of what could possibly be wrong. As this is my first post, if I am transgressing any rules of the forum please advise and I'll remove the post. The link to the photos is: http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/gi...ibeme/library/

1. I noticed the 14/3 wire ([plus ground) running from the condenser to the indoor unit is not stranded. I believe the manual states that stranded 14/4 is required. Does it make any difference? Would this in and of itself prevent unit from working?

2. The outdoor unit is wired from the main circuit panel with a 12/3 wire. It appears the white wire is being used as a black wire, as it is so-marked (two hot wires running out to outdoor unit with no neutral)

3. There is an outdoor disconnect box.... not sure if it's wired correctly. The two hot wires are located in the "Line" slots, and the wires going out to condensing unit are in the "Load" slots.

4. I've included a photo of the wiring of the condensing unit as well. The wiring panel here goes as follows: 1, 2, 3, L1, L2, plus the grounds. The "communication" wires between outdoor unit and indoor unit are matched correctly with each other, but again, not sure if it being a solid wire is a problem.

5. I've also included a photo of the line sets and valve caps (I've pulled back the insulation for the picture). I also checked to see if the hex nuts had been opened and the R410a refrigerant released, and it has been. This has nothing to do with it not turning on (I'd gather), just wanted to know if it had ever been released.

If anybody sees anything glaringly wrong (or not so glaringly wrong), I'd *really appreciate the input. And it would help me in deciding whether I need an electrician and/or HVAC professional (or both).

Thanks, in advance.

giacometti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

if it needs 14/4 wire that means it is missing one wire and part of the control circuit so yeah it won't run. there is a reason for stranded wire and I cannot remember why but i would get someone who knws that unit to wire it properly and start it up properly. VERY VERY nice unit and at 21 SEER does not get much better than that, just needs someone who knows them to set it up properly. those valve caps need to be very snug/tight or else freon will leak out. tighten loosen/tighten them 3x so they seat/seal properly.

I worked on some that were AC only and they used 14/3 so you would need another wire for the heat pump part and sounds like it is now mixed up or done wrong.

Last edited by yuri; 05-24-2013 at 04:29 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #3

Thanks a ton Yuri. It's nice knowing that this is a first-rate unit! I just walked out and did exactly what you said about tightening the valve caps (something I never would have known to do. I had them very tight, but didn't know about the three step process). From some of the stuff I'm reading about these particular units (on professional HVAC blogs), it appears that Fujitsu actually "means" 14/3 stranded wire + ground, as opposed to actual 14/4 stranded wire + ground. The people saying that may have some credence as I cannot find or see any other possible place to put the additional wire either on the outdoor compressor or the indoor unit. And when I e-mailed an online supplier of the Honeywell 14/4 stranded wire they sell for these units, they confirmed it only had four wires (black, white, red, green). So I'm guessing it must be some other wiring issue. I'm not even getting a green light indicator on the wall unit when I hit the remote (if it had power and wasn't wired correctly I'm guessing an error signal would come on). I'll definitely take your advise as well regarding getting someone here who knows these units to have a look (anyone out there have a recommendation for someone, I'm in DC, I'd be appreciative. If that's not allowed on this site please disregard ;-) It matches perfectly with the wiring of the outdoor unit, so I know they didn't cross wires in that regard. *Really appreciate your help! Here's a link to a pic of the inside unit's wiring: http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/gi...331a0.jpg.html
Old 05-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

I did some in condos AC only and they had mixed up 2 of the wires going to 1/2/3. cannot remember if it gave an error signal. It is a VERY good unit that uses an ECM inverter variable speed compressor which is extremely high end in our biz. stranded wire was an issue with some low voltage wiring hookups in older minisplits but most use high voltage nowadays. contact Fujitsu and see who is the authorized repair/dealers for your area, in case of warranty they need to be authorized dealers plus those are very complicated units.

Also try shut the main power off to the outdoor unit and wait 10 minutes. Carefully read the owners manuals carefully as some of those remotes have an ID code and special process you use when you first power the unit up so it logs in and can communicate. like a garage door opener. otherwise in a condo you would affect the closest neighbors units etc. there may be a power up procedure to follow and to reboot it.

Last edited by yuri; 05-24-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #5

Again, thanks so much for the help. I very much appreciate it. And yes, from what I've been reading these are very good units (and it's nice to hear it from a pro like yourself). I'd just like to get in running before the heat hits here in DC (very very soon). I'll contact Fujitsu for authorized personnel in my area, great idea. Thanks again!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

reread my post as i added to it with rebooting it and the remote. I would still get it checked by Fujitsu in case some freon is missing or whatever. that may be a $6-8,000 unit so you want to get it done properly.

Last edited by yuri; 05-24-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #7

Gotcha. I'm guessing that in shutting off main power supply to outdoor unit you mean to shut it off at the circuit breaker box? I don't think I saw a separate shut-off on the actual unit itself (other than the disconnect box next to it). Also wondering if there is a reset button/fuse in the outdoor unit itself that might be tripped? Again, in my examination of the unit (as well as reading the manuals), seems only place to shut off unit is at the circuit itself (or with remote, if system was running). But again thanks for the very helpful advice. And I'll definitely check out the manual again on the start-up procedure as well. I also noticed that the wires to the unit first go into a junction box in the crawl space before exiting through the back wall of the house. I suspect this was done to save money from running outdoor grade wire and converting to interior residential wire. Problem could be there. But for now I'll check on your helpful suggestions. Thanks again!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

hopefully they did not mix up the 1/2/3 wires and red became white etc. remove that cover on the junction box and check. there is no fuse and you shut off the power at the main panel. DO NOT use those pull switch/shunt thingys in the outdoor box as they are for emergency use only and can break or be very difficult to get back in. go to the main panel in the house.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #9

All good stuff to know. I hope you are blessed with many good customers based on your helpfulness here ;-). Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

if you fix it I will give you an address to send some beer to. LOL

Old 05-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #11

Happily! Fingers crossed. I'll check out the wiring tomorrow and will let you know if that was it. Thanks again and hopefully you'll have some beer coming your way!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

Good Luck

Romania one of my favorite countries. I sponsor a little girl there thru World Vision and it is close to where my ancestors come from.

http://www.worldvision.org/

Last edited by yuri; 05-24-2013 at 06:00 PM.