Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #1

Share |

New Jersey HVAC Quotes

I am a little surpised at the quotes I have been getting for a new central air system. I was hoping someone could weigh in as to what a reasonable price range should be and the approximate material costs of some DIY duct work if I choose to go that route.

I just purchased a small one story house that has approximately 850 sq ft of living space covering 6 rooms. I have been doing some renovation myself and all of the ceilings have been demolished down to the joists. There is no dict work and I am looking for a 16 seer (for rebate) 2 ton system with the air handler and duct work in the attic space.

The most reasonable quote I have gotten so far is for $7,100 and this excludes any electrical work or sheet rock.

I have the elctrical work covered at about $1500 (new panel - do not need service upgrade - and additional lines for A/C).

What do you think a reasonable quote is for something like this, and how much would you expect the duct work materials to cost on average if I did that part of it myself?

Thanks for your input!

woody1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #2

New Jersey HVAC Quotes

What kind of equipment was that quote for? Your house sounds like it will require a fairly small, simple duct job, but if you've never done it before that can turn into a PITA quick like, especially in a cramped attic. I'd get an itemized quote detailing where the money is going, ie; equipment, ductwork, etc......

brandonmcginnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

New Jersey HVAC Quotes

Many contractors won't itemize.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #4

New Jersey HVAC Quotes

I've got a 900 sq ft house in FL 2 bd, 1 bath liv, kit dining, family room. I would like to repace the AC system in. The general consensus is (includeing beenthere) the duckwork is undersized. I've gotten 5 quotes< I dislike getting this many quotes but these people are all over the place on what to do and how to do it and price!

All quotes are for a 2ton 13 SEER w 7 KW electric heat. They range from $2600 for not replacing the duct work and adding 2 registers to $5450 replacing everything including adding 2 new registers. With these prices I will be doing the electric. The man for $5450 will be doing it without a permit. Well known and highly recommended contractor, so I have no problem with that.

I do not want to spend $2600 and have a system that half works and I do not want to spend $5450 on this house. I'm not sure if I want to DIY and hire an AC guy to do the Freon work.

I lived very well with mini splits for a year in Asia and will be trying to research them here. I'm thinking they would be a good option. I have the luxury of time as my system still works.

HTH JIm
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

New Jersey HVAC Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post

The man for $5450 will be doing it without a permit. Well known and highly recommended contractor, so I have no problem with that.

HTH JIm
You might when you go to sell the house down the road.

Or, if your less then friends with just one of your neighbors.

You'd surprised, what an inspector can find. After they discover you tried to do a job without a permit.

You have some areas(in Florida), that have very strict codes. And they'll make you rip it out and redo the whole thing. Plus add on anything else they can find.

You can pull your own permit for all the work. And just have the contractor do the work. If you don't want to DIY.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #6

New Jersey HVAC Quotes

Thanks for the response. I have always believed in pulling permits and doing things right but after my last experience with the building inspector. As a homeowner I will NEVER pull another permit in FL unless it is to my advantage of course!!!!!!!!

Your statement "You might when you go to sell the house down the road"
" has me wondering, am I missing something?

JIm
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

New Jersey HVAC Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
Thanks for the response. I have always believed in pulling permits and doing things right but after my last experience with the building inspector. As a homeowner I will NEVER pull another permit in FL unless it is to my advantage of course!!!!!!!!

Your statement "You might when you go to sell the house down the road"
" has me wondering, am I missing something?

JIm
When the prospective buyer, has the home inspected by a home inspector. And the home inspector points out things that aren't right. That an inspection from pulling a permit would have found. They won't have to negociate a lower price, or having you pay to fix it. You won't have a choice. And you get to pay for the new higher price for having it redone.

And if you refuse, you get some nice fines. And you have a house you can't sell. Until its brought up to code. And it will be the code enforced at that time, not now.

Lots of areas now require a load calc to pull a permit. So if the load calc is pulled 5 years from now. And shows that the system you had installed is under sized. You get to pay for a new larger system for the buyer.

Tags
quote ductwork