Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #1

Share |

New HVAC system ????

I am in the process of doing a major remodel. I live 20 miles north of Charleston, WV so temps are cold at times (today it is 9 deg). I have a 2 story house that is approx 3000 sft with each floor having approx 1500 sft. I want to use a heat pump with 2 wood stove inserts to help heat the house.

I have 2 seperate quotes on the heat pump systems. One guy is saying he would install 2 thermostats with 1 up and 1 down. The other guy says it would be best to put 2 on each level.

Downstairs has 4 bedrooms on one end of the house (where my 4 boys will be sleeping at night) and a large family room on the other end of the house. Ceilings downstairs are about 9 ft high.

Upstairs configuration has about 750 sft with cathedral ceilings on 1/2 of the house where the dining room, living room and kitchen is located. These rooms are seperated by a 8' normal ceiling for about 1/4 of the house and the remaining 1/4 house (my bedroom) has cathedral ceilings again (my bedroom).

The second guy would like to put 1 therm in 4 bedroom hallway, 1 in large family room, 1 in dining/living room, and 1 in my bedroom. The bottom floor has concrete floors where I will have carpet and the walls are cinder block with 2x4 studs w/ insulation. All upstairs is wood exterior walls. I would like to know what you all think is the best thing to do as far as the number of thermostats. Is it better to have more than 1 on each floor or does this create problems with dampers, etc...?
MrBdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

New HVAC system ????

The 4 zone/thermostat set up will probably work better.

That way teh bedrooms can still have heat if the doors are closed and not getting heat from the stoves.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote