New HVAC Installation - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Haste Makes Waste

Rewards Points: 250

New HVAC Installation

I am considering updating the heat & air in my home in the downstairs six rooms. It currently has a 25,000btu window unit and a floor furnace as well as a circulating heater in the dinning room. Although the heat and air is comfortable, I'd like to get rid of the obstacles and low-efficiency units and just go w/central heat & air.

I have been told complete units (already charged) are now available for DIYers and a friend can purchase at wholesale and install for me. He says my floor plan can be put in the computer and a blueprint will show him exactly what to buy and where to put it.

I really need advice and comments on this...about all I know is that central is more comfortable and convenient.

Any ideas or comments?

Advertisement

saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,480

New HVAC Installation

Central systems have come with pre charged condensers for many many years now. However. they are only precharged for usually a 15 foot line set, and the most common indoor coil. So you will most likely still need someone to check the charge, and adjust if needed.

As for installing it yourselves. Some people are more then competent to do so, others aren't.

If you feel this friend is competent. Ask if he has done others. And if those people are happy with their systems. Then call and check with some of those people. If they are all happy. Go for it.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #3

New HVAC Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggdevil View Post
I have been told complete units (already charged) are now available for DIYers and a friend can purchase at wholesale and install for me. He says my floor plan can be put in the computer and a blueprint will show him exactly what to buy and where to put it.
Condensors come precharged but to my knowledge there are no precharged coils and line sets on the market. (there used to be some that came precharged with self piercing seals but I don't know of any on the market these days)

That means your friend will have to be competent enough to braze on the lineset with a flow of Nitrogen, perform a leak test and then pull a vacuum down to <500 microns, open the valve, adjust the charge and then evaluate the correct functionality of the unit.

You'll likely have a very limited warranty unless your friend is also an authorized dealer.

You can definately save big bucks but HVAC work is very exacting and unforgiving to errors. (ie the devil's in the details.)

Last edited by hennyh; 07-07-2010 at 10:00 AM.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,480

New HVAC Installation

Pre charged coils. Would be the OEM ones for mobile homes. HUD approved units, often have quick connect fittings.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
Haste Makes Waste

New HVAC Installation

Thanks so much for the input guys....think I'll just hold off of this and call the company that has done fce work here in the past.
Thanks again for the info....this one has me stumped, lol.
saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote