Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Meep!

Rewards Points: 75

New humidifier install

Ok, so I'm sure I can tackle this project. I'm sure that with a few "why the heck did I just do that?" in there, it'll go in, in slightly under 5 hours longer than I originally planned, but I can do it... I'm enjoying my projects so far.

2 story Dutch Colonial, 3/4 finished/heated basement, home does have central air also. About 2700 sq ft.

I'm looking towards Aprilaire, and Skuttle whole-house kits, and haven't decided yet which to go with. I do want an auto control I think (?)

I've read a few threads that mention pics to post of ductwork, etc... In order to get the best most useful help, what should I post pics/angles of pics of, and any new recommendations on units, types of units? Many of the posts seemed to be older, just wondering what's fresh 'n new in HVAC.

Joe Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

New humidifier install

Aprilaire is one of the best rated units.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Meep!

New humidifier install

Seems that Aprilaire is all over, so that was the one I was gravitating towards...

Are the Aprilaire 400 units that pull water back in and supposedly hold no real water good?
I don't want a reservoir with sitting water, these seemed intriguing...

Quote:
The Aprilaire Model 400 Whole-House Humidifier features a built-in bypass damper and utilizes new evaporative technology to minimize water use. Gravity pulls water down, while the wicking action of the Water Panel draws it back to the top, using 100% of the water delivered to the unit. The Aprilaire Model 400 Whole-House Humidifier:
  • Features truly automatic control
  • Eliminates standing water, making it the perfect choice for homes with septic systems, locations where a floor drain is not available or families interested in water conservation
  • Has an evaporation capacity of 0.70 gallons per hour
  • Humidifies tightly-constructed homes up to a 4,000 square foot in size.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

New humidifier install

I would be like you. I would not want water sitting in a reservoir. It is bad enough, when you have to spend 10 to 15 min's cleaning a floor/portable room humidifier of the red gook, and slime.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 542

New humidifier install

Definitely get the flow through type. Reservoir type will always become a mess. Look at Aprilaire model 700.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
Meep!

New humidifier install

What are the differences between the 600 and the 700? There only seems to be a 200 sq ft difference in available coverage, but it looks quite different...

This is where I will be putting it:

Old 11-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

New humidifier install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
What are the differences between the 600 and the 700? There only seems to be a 200 sq ft difference in available coverage, but it looks quite different...

The 700 is a self-powered unit, i.e., it contains its own 'blower' . The 600 is a bypass unit. It does not contain a blower and 'steals' some airflow from the supply side. It can be mounted on either the supply or return side, and has a duct connecting it to the other side.

If you have a modulating furnace (or other), which runs mostly in medium to low blower speeds, it could be a problem.
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

New humidifier install

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesubotee View Post
The 700 is a self-powered unit, i.e., it contains its own 'blower' . The 600 is a bypass unit. It does not contain a blower and 'steals' some airflow from the supply side. It can be mounted on either the supply or return side, and has a duct connecting it to the other side.

If you have a modulating furnace (or other), which runs mostly in medium to low blower speeds, it could be a problem.

get the 600, you dont need the power assist.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
Meep!

New humidifier install

Ah ok- that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #10

New humidifier install

I am a fan of the self powered units like the 700. Much neater install since you don't need to run the bypass duct (which also means no cutout in the return duct) and you don't affect your overall system CFM. It may be small but on the bypass type whatever air goes through the bypass detracts from overall system flow. You do need to plug the 700 into a 120v outlet, however, so if you don't have one handy you will need to install one... or just go with the 600.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #11

New humidifier install

The 700 is for application that don't have the return located right next to the furnace, such as a counterflow in a tight closet. The 700 are much louder, and much harder to service.....the pictures that you provided show me as clearly as a new piece of glass that the best humidifier in THAT situation is the 600.You also can use the same drain as you are currently using for your A/C.Also be sure to locate the humidistat at least 1 ft above the humidifier.
The Following User Says Thank You to harleyrider For This Useful Post:
Joe Dirt (11-30-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #12

New humidifier install

Harley I would beg to differ on "best". Slightly different ways of accomplishing the same thing, each with a couple of minor differences. Bypass will reduce your duct airflow by the bypassed amount. The powered unit does make a little fan noise, that may or may not be an issue depending on where the util room is located. Just comes down to which tradeoffs work better for the person. Both have the same solenoid valve an will use exactly the same drain setup.

One thing I would have to strongly disagree is about 700 being hard to service. Changing the media pad takes about 30 seconds... maybe a minute if you really take your time. Lift the plastic tab and the whole outer housing comes right off exposing the media pad. No bypass duct in the way. You don't have to mess with anything else at all. A minute tops. Maybe some work if the fan ever breaks but mine is going on 5 years with nary an issue. Just a new media pad every year. Can't get any easier than that.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #13

New humidifier install

The 700 is designed for a very specific applications......joe dirts application is NOT what the design engineers had in mind when they designed that unit. I have installed thousands of humidifiers in the last 30 years, I think I know whats best in ANY given situation, you are at best confusing the client with a redundant argument. I value your input on this discussion board but in this case you are just flat out wrong in even suggesting that a power assist humidifier be used.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #14

New humidifier install

I have had all types myself and installed them all myself. I value your opinion, too, but just installing a bunch of humidifiers doesn't make you an engineer. I am one. And I am not recommending one type over the other, merely pointing out the differences so the OP can decide what is most important to him.... and reporting my excellent operational experience with the 700 model. Best humidifier I have ever had by far. As they say, YMMV. I am sure the 600 will be every bit as reliable, too, maybe even more so since it has no fan. Not an issue for me. If mine breaks a fan after 10 years I'll consider it good service and fix it or get a new one.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #15

New humidifier install

Quote:
but just installing a bunch of humidifiers doesn't make you an engineer. I am one.
Well, that sure explains alot......I am done with this thread, I think the client has a very clear picture of what he needs for his situation.