New Home Heating Concern - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

New Home heating Concern

I just purchased a newly built home about six months ago. I have noticed that during the night I have to turn the top floor thermostat on 79 degreess to keep it warm. When the heat shuts off a light draft slowly developes until it becomes conciderably cooler then the heat kicks back on. The first floor termostat is kept around 73 degrees. I have had the builders come out and they say everything is fine but something is clearly not right. I have two American Standard Condensing units and a Freedom 90 Single Stage furnece. the House is approxiamtely 2500 square feet of living space. What should I look for and what are my options?

Thanks
Lexington

Advertisement

Lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

New Home heating Concern

If you have two condensing units you should also have two furnaces. Do you have two? Possibly one for lower one for upper? Possibly in the attic?

Advertisement

Last edited by SKIP4661; 01-07-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: add
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

New Home heating Concern

the cold draft could be comimg from the return grill in the ceiling for the attic furnace if you have it up there.the attic is unheated and the return duct work(if there) chills out and the air drops down thru the grill.the ceiling grill should be ducted back to the furnace return section where the filter is.....the 79F to maintain the second floor sounds like you might be running hi speed fan instead of the low speed for the heating cycle.to check it put the stat FAN ON only note the air out of the register then cycle the heat with the stat in auto/heat see how that air is should be considerably lower with the heat.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

New Home heating Concern

sorry yes there are two one is in the attick
Lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

New Home heating Concern

if you have a draft coming in, that and not the furnace is the problem.

Tips to find the draft

I use smoke in a bottle. But back in the day smoke from a cigarette, cigar or my favorite black Cavendish in my favorite Peterson system pipe. I suppose you could make this extra fun use a hitter or a bong. blow the smoke in the direction of the suspected draft and you get the point.

turn off the furnace

check each grill and register for draft if you find one you may have a pipe disconnected in the attic.

If you don't find draft at a terminal now check windows doors attic scuttles base boards electrical outlets ceiling lights

one caution if you use pot or crack to generate smoke your conclusions may be less than perfect.
Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote