Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

New Heating System for Slab?

We just moved into a 1957 "Campanelli Slab" in Massachusetts. The house has original furnace in kitchen and original radiant flooring. Our furnace just died, so we are looking for the best option for a new heating system (we do not want to hook up to the old radiant flooring system as almost all other neighborhood houses have had rupturing problems with them). We would like to find the most efficient and cost effective option other than baseboards (because of lost floor space).

Any ideas are a huge help! Brrrrr it's cold with only space heaters in the winter!

Raez1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,024

Too bad. Radiant heat is really nice. Doesnt anyone have a way to coat the inside of the pipes with some type of sealer? I would check on this one, cause that floor is going to be a cold slab, otherwise. Just like you have now.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Too bad. Radiant heat is really nice. Doesnt anyone have a way to coat the inside of the pipes with some type of sealer? I would check on this one, cause that floor is going to be a cold slab, otherwise. Just like you have now.
Thank you for your suggestions. We will definitely look into it. The radiant flooring was AWESOME...when it worked!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,024

Check this out http://www.uesystems.com/media/24347/repradht.pdf

Let me add the following: This looks to me like an excellent application for Infrared, and Capacitance Moisture detection. IR would find a leak in a new york minute In my opinion. If you do not have a leak now, I would think that infusion with a heavy bodied elastomeric roof coating would find any pinholes and seal them up. I have never done anything like this but I am sure that somebody has.

I am well versed in non-destructive survey techniques and I own two IR cameras, which I have used for many unique purposes, besides finding building envelope problems. This seems like a no brainer. It seems to me that if you have no leaks now, you could put a rust inhibiting fluid in your system to prevent further deterioration. Just because your neighbors system failed does not mean yours will. Theirs might have been installed on Friday afternoon, with a 5 o'clock happy hour.

Like I said, That radiant heat is a very nice heat, and you will not be as happy with anything else.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Raez1187 (12-22-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,004

Don't put good money after bad, install a new hot water boiler with baseboards and loose the space. If it's a 1957 piped system under the slab forget about it nothing but trouble. It had a good life now it's over.
Where I live near Levittown, PA there are 11,000 homes with slab heat and about 9, 000 of them have changed over to baseboard Hot Water.

The other systems are , Heat pump with ductwork, Electric Baseboard.

Good Luck not many choices.
ben's plumbing (01-23-2013), joecaption (12-22-2012)
Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for your input! We ended up installing a Bryant heat pump with the ducts in the attic. System came out very nice, now it’s just a matter of getting the boiler out of the kitchen and oil tank out of the garage (which is full, anyone want to come buy it?)
Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,004

Good now the oil give it or sell it to your neighbors run a hose from the tank to your neighbors house and pump it in his tank. Put cheap PVC plugs in the tank openings and have a metal man take it away along with the oil boiler.

Tags
efficient, furnace, heating, radiant flooring, slab