Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Cool

new heating cooling system

Does anyone know about 2 stage HVAC units. The blower motor usually stays on low but kicks to a higher speed when needed so it is energy efficient. I understand they cost more upfront and want to know if it really works better, and what company makes a good one. The house I have now is 60 in the basement 70 degrees on the main floor and almost 80 on the second floor and I hate it!
Doing a new build in Florida and want it done right to start with.

Thanks

agrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

But I personaly think they should be the bare minimum. carrier makes a good product- amana best bang for buck - maytag is good as well . But let me take a second and talk about eff. maytags iq drive system is 23 seer and is run with inverter tech. about 60% of the operation costs with what can be said to have 500 stage ,compared to 2 stage 16 seer. The best system as far as return on investment's go is direct exchange geothermal they pay for themselves in energy saving's in about 7 years and over the life of the system on average you end up in the black by about 50k . If your not building IFC its not worth it to build new

geo fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the info GeoFan. Just so I'm sure what is IFC? I am going to Florida the 1st part of Aug to talk to contractors and the building dept for permits,surveys etc.
WIll a regular heating cooling contractor be the best bet or are there some guys who just specialize in geotherm?
We're looking at 2200 to 2500 sq ft. Do you happen to know the current ballpark price of this system?
Thanks
agrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrace View Post
Thanks for the info GeoFan. Just so I'm sure what is IFC? I am going to Florida the 1st part of Aug to talk to contractors and the building dept for permits,surveys etc.
WIll a regular heating cooling contractor be the best bet or are there some guys who just specialize in geotherm?
We're looking at 2200 to 2500 sq ft. Do you happen to know the current ballpark price of this system?
Thanks
IFC ( insulated framing construction) or structural insulated panels
it basicly the best way to build for a high r value. There is a manufacturer of geothermal heatpumps in florida and I beleive there name is florida heat pump, but the best company if available down there bare nun is Earth Link DX . they will have a list of contractors, or what my company does is sub out the earth taps ( typical lifetime warranttee) and just do the work connecting the compressor to the airhandler ( this part any trained hvac guy can do) the cost can vary from 6k per ton to 10 k
depending mostly on the installer. A large company will have higher overhead then a small and typicly higher prices. They also will have more resorces and usualy faster and more dependable service. The round about for a house that size I wouldnt be shocked with quote for 35k with a company that has geo experiance and a desuperheater ( hot drinking water option) a single split system and drilling and ductwork , basicly soup to nuts , but again Im in ct and our costs will be much different then floridia. Remember DX not water source unless there is no other option
you should expect to be able to heat ac and hot water for a house that size for about 600 a year

Last edited by geo fan; 07-24-2008 at 08:07 PM.
geo fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
sweaty

Rewards Points: 250

First, improve the house you have. Put a radiant heat barrier in your attic. Then seal penetrations in your attic floor and add more insulation. These things will greatly cool off your top floor.

I love the 2-stage HVAC units. They're worth it for comfort, quietness, and efficiency. But fix your house first.
sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote