Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #1

Share |

New Heating & AC system takes long time to warm up home

Hello

Thanks for your web site.

I have just had a 4 ton heating and AC system by Goodman installed in my 2000 sq ft home.

The specs on the system are:

SYSTEM EQUIPMENT SET-UP:
1. INSTALL A NEW “GOODMAN” #SSX160481 ULTRA-HIGH EFFICIENCY AIR CONDITIONER. (4 TONS – 16.00 SEER).
2. INSTALL A “GOODMAN” #CAPF4961D6 HIGH EFFICIENCY COOLING COIL WITH NEW #TX5N4 REFRIGERANT METERING DEVICE.
3. NEW “GOODMAN” #GMVC950905DXA ULTRA-HIGH EFFICIENCY, VARIABLE-SPEED, TWO-STAGE, GAS FURNACE. (95% AFUE – 70,000 BTUH HIGH FIRE CAPACITY).
4. NEW “HONEYWELL” DIGITAL/PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT.

The system works great and I love it. The system is very, very quiet and I actually never hear it running unless I'm right under it. It is in the attic.

However I have one question. My wife and I are retired so we don’t use the programmable thermostat, we just turn the heat up when we get up. I live in Marietta, GA just outside of Atlanta and when I set the temp to 70 deg at night, I set it to 75 degrees when we get up. It takes over an hour for the temperature to go up to 75 deg. This seems line too long for the system to raise the temperature 5 degrees.

I expected the system to come on at high speed when you set the thermostat to go up 5 degrees and then slow down to maintain that temperature. This is why the variable two-stage furnace appealed to me.

My installer says he can set the furnace blower to run higher but I would lose some of the efficiency of the system.

What are your thoughts or suggestions. I can live with this or I can program the thermostat to start the furnace around an hour before we get up.

Thanks for your help.

Bill Poston

poston8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #2

your missing the feature of a solid stat stat there....guessing you have wake...leave...return...sleep... settings it's like waiting for water to boil if that is always one hour from 70 to 75 then that ia the actual lenght of time doing it manually.if you set wake at 75 for 7am example it will be 75 at 7am not start to heat...electronic stats anticipate 3 things ...when changing the day modes...what the room F is what was the last mode setting SLEEP/F .and what is the new mode setting WAKE/Fso say you get up for a drink of water at 500am you might feel the heat running that is the furnace and stat anticipating that you want that 75 at 7am..it won't run steady till 7am just short pre-warm ups degree each time...

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Get a 2 stage thermostat. Then it will go to second stage when you turn the heat up 5 degrees. Sounds like your installer is using a single stage thermostat. Or else only has it wired to control a single stage furnace. And is letting the furnace timer control second stage.

Post the model number of the thermostat.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
operagost (11-10-2010)
Old 11-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Get a 2 stage thermostat. Then it will go to second stage when you turn the heat up 5 degrees. Sounds like your installer is using a single stage thermostat. Or else only has it wired to control a single stage furnace. And is letting the furnace timer control second stage.

Post the model number of the thermostat.
Thanks for your reply.

The thermostat is a Honeywell TH4110D1007 for 1 Heat/1Cool systems. You may have hit the nail on the head.

I have sent an email to my installer and am waiting on his rely. thanks again.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

I expected the system to come on at high speed when you set the thermostat to go up 5 degrees and then slow down to maintain that temperature. This is why the variable two-stage furnace appealed to me.

I think your expectaion is not correct with this because the furnace is set up just as you would with a non-VS furnace.
The motor has some functions as to how slow and fast the fan ramps up to speed when coming on.

My installer says he can set the furnace blower to run higher but I would lose some of the efficiency of the system

You may not want to do this either. If the furnace was set up correctly than raising the fan speed will lower the temp at the registers and lowering the fan speed will raise the temp at the registers. But, what has to happen is to adjust the blower speed for the correct Delta T according to manufactor specs for long full life of the furnace and heat exchanger.

I agree with Been about installing a 2-stage stat. However sometimes it is very difficult to run new thermostat wire if there are not the correct number of wires in the current wiring to support a 2-stage stat.

My question is this "How did the installer come up with a 4 ton A/C and a 70K BTU furnace. Kind'a to me he is using the rule of thumb process. I would think in a 2000 sq ft house even at 95% eff furnace I would see a 80K BTU furnace. Seems a little small to me compared to the 4 tn a/c.

Was a load calculation done?

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by poston8 View Post
Thanks for your reply.

The thermostat is a Honeywell TH4110D1007 for 1 Heat/1Cool systems. You may have hit the nail on the head.

I have sent an email to my installer and am waiting on his rely. thanks again.
Yep. You need a 2 stage stat instead of a single stage like you have, for it to go to second stage the way you want when you set the temp up.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber101 View Post

I agree with Been about installing a 2-stage stat. However sometimes it is very difficult to run new thermostat wire if there are not the correct number of wires in the current wiring to support a 2-stage stat.

Honeywell IAQ. Only needs 3 wires tot eh thermostat from the interface module.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber101 View Post

I think your expectaion is not correct with this because the furnace is set up just as you would with a non-VS furnace.
The motor has some functions as to how slow and fast the fan ramps up to speed when coming on.

My installer says he can set the furnace blower to run higher but I would lose some of the efficiency of the system

You may not want to do this either. If the furnace was set up correctly than raising the fan speed will lower the temp at the registers and lowering the fan speed will raise the temp at the registers. But, what has to happen is to adjust the blower speed for the correct Delta T according to manufactor specs for long full life of the furnace and heat exchanger.

My question is this "How did the installer come up with a 4 ton A/C and a 70K BTU furnace. Kind'a to me he is using the rule of thumb process. I would think in a 2000 sq ft house even at 95% eff furnace I would see a 80K BTU furnace. Seems a little small to me compared to the 4 tn a/c.

Was a load calculation done?

No, a load calculation was not done. Three different HVAC companies recommended the same set up with different brands. Also, I believe the new system replaced what was in the house before. I was satisfied with the old system but it developed a freon leak, was 11 years old and I didn't want to start patching it up. I decided to replace and take advantage of tax credit.

It is too late to consider the Btu's of the new furnace. I'm going to have to live with what was installed. I can live with the long time for the furnace to warm the house up to the set temp, I just believe it should do it faster.

And I believe the two stage thermostat will fix the problem.
Thanks for your reply.

Bill
Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Yep. You need a 2 stage stat instead of a single stage like you have, for it to go to second stage the way you want when you set the temp up.
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to discuss with my installer asap. Hopefully he will agree and install the 2 stage stat without problem.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 11-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by poston8 View Post
Hello

Thanks for your web site.

I have just had a 4 ton heating and AC system by Goodman installed in my 2000 sq ft home.

The specs on the system are:

SYSTEM EQUIPMENT SET-UP:
1. INSTALL A NEW “GOODMAN” #SSX160481 ULTRA-HIGH EFFICIENCY AIR CONDITIONER. (4 TONS – 16.00 SEER).
2. INSTALL A “GOODMAN” #CAPF4961D6 HIGH EFFICIENCY COOLING COIL WITH NEW #TX5N4 REFRIGERANT METERING DEVICE.
3. NEW “GOODMAN” #GMVC950905DXA ULTRA-HIGH EFFICIENCY, VARIABLE-SPEED, TWO-STAGE, GAS FURNACE. (95% AFUE – 70,000 BTUH HIGH FIRE CAPACITY).
4. NEW “HONEYWELL” DIGITAL/PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT.

The system works great and I love it. The system is very, very quiet and I actually never hear it running unless I'm right under it. It is in the attic.

However I have one question. My wife and I are retired so we don’t use the programmable thermostat, we just turn the heat up when we get up. I live in Marietta, GA just outside of Atlanta and when I set the temp to 70 deg at night, I set it to 75 degrees when we get up. It takes over an hour for the temperature to go up to 75 deg. This seems line too long for the system to raise the temperature 5 degrees.

My installer says he can set the furnace blower to run higher but I would lose some of the efficiency of the system.

What are your thoughts or suggestions. I can live with this or I can program the thermostat to start the furnace around an hour before we get up.

Thanks for your help.

Bill Poston
What a difference a technician makes:

One correction: Furnace is a 90,000 BTU not a 70,000 according to Goodman manual. The engineer made an error in the proposal.

New technician: Set dip switches at furnace to bring on 2nd stage heat. Works like a charm.

Ran condensate drain line to interior drain vent.

Moved drain pan under 90% trap.

Installed black iron pipe our of furnace for gas.

I didn't know any of these things needed to be done.

Now house heats up to set temp in about 10 to 15 minutes.

Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions.

What a difference a knowledgeable technician makes.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to poston8 For This Useful Post:
operagost (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Thats why many of us say its the contractor, not the brand thats important.

Glad its working the way it should now.