Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

new he gas furnace installation

having a he furnace installed. Needs a drain, some want to tie it to bathroom drain, some want to tie it to washer drain, is one better that the other

mmoore170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

washer

Old 12-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #3

my washing drain can only be reached by going through attic, bathroom is right next to furnace room. two contractors said it was not a problem, two said that it's not to code and there was a chance that it could freeze. Both said the other did not know what they were talking about. thanks for your help,
Old 12-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

I wouldn't run a condensate pump line through the attic. It will freeze unless heat tape is applied and there's no sense in the extra expense with another drain closer.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore170 View Post
my washing drain can only be reached by going through attic, bathroom is right next to furnace room. two contractors said it was not a problem, two said that it's not to code and there was a chance that it could freeze. Both said the other did not know what they were talking about. thanks for your help,
I think you could have said it had to go thru the attic in your first post.
The guys can't read your mind and it gives the wrong impression of the answer.

If you are going thru the attic you run a big risk of freezing the condensate line if it gets too cold and or the freeze tape fails.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #6

Where is the furnace located?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #7

sorry, about the lack of facts, the furnace is in a closet in the backside of the house, the laundry room is about 40 feet from it. The furnace room is surround by two bath rooms, but there is not inside entrance to the furnace room. I just had two contractors tell me it was to code to run it through the attic and two contractors said it wasn't. the same two contractors also said there is no problem with freezing in the attic and the other contractors said there could be a problem with freezing. Just confused about two different opinions. i went with the contractor who is tying it to the bathroom drain. All so confusing to someone that knows nothing about a heating system! thanks for the help
Old 12-23-2010, 03:27 AM   #8

Quote:
sorry, about the lack of facts, the furnace is in a closet in the backside of the house, the laundry room is about 40 feet from it. The furnace room is surround by two bath rooms, but there is not inside entrance to the furnace room. I just had two contractors tell me it was to code to run it through the attic and two contractors said it wasn't. the same two contractors also said there is no problem with freezing in the attic and the other contractors said there could be a problem with freezing. Just confused about two different opinions. i went with the contractor who is tying it to the bathroom drain. All so confusing to someone that knows nothing about a heating system! thanks for the help
You made a good choice. I use wash tubs cause they are less intrusive than say a shower drain or bath room sink.

When you think about it water freezes at 32*F. If it gets that cold or colder then your attic will also be below freezing. The line will freeze.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,714

It would have froze in the attic. If your attic temps dropped below 32 degrees.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #10

Thanks for all your help!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #11

okay, my next question is, I purchased a trane xv95 variable speed furnace, instead of the xr95 single speed. Will the xv offset the additional cost over the lifetime of the furnace, and is it really that more efficient with the variable speeds. It was 600. more. I will have it tied to my existing trane heat pump that I had installed 2 years ago.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

I just recently had a XV95 installed. From what I have gathered so far it won't save much money over a single stage high efficiency furnace but will provide more comfort with a more even heat since it will run in first stage for longer periods of time than a single stage would run at a higher output rate. The heat demand for your house requires xxx BTU's and that has to be satisfied whether your using a two stage furnace or a single stage one. It's the same amount of fuel to produce those BTU's. Maybe some others can weigh in on this.
I like the unit since it is somewhat quieter than my old single stage Trane as is slightly more efficient at 95% versus 90% on my previous furnace..
kb3ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #13

okay, the contractor said it would save money because in the lower stages it doesn't pull as much electricity in the summer and the winter. I went from a 60% furnace to this so it will be more efficient. Hopefully it well be quieter and provide a more even heat. Just not sure if it was worth the extra $ commitment.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,752

Its like driving a Buick instead of a Malibu. You pay more for the comfort, quieter and the ride.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,714

Quote:
okay, my next question is, I purchased a trane xv95 variable speed furnace, instead of the xr95 single speed. Will the xv offset the additional cost over the lifetime of the furnace, and is it really that more efficient with the variable speeds. It was 600. more. I will have it tied to my existing trane heat pump that I had installed 2 years ago.
If your duct work is sized close to right. You will have a lower electric bill, and not even notice its running at times, because you won't have a harsh air blowing out of the registers.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote