Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #1

Share |

New Gas Furnace Making Whining Turbine noise

I recently installed a new Hi - Eff gas furnace and I noticed a whining turbine noise. I found it is the intake duct in the family room just above the furnace (I just covered it with my hands and it stopped). The contractor said he will move it 12 - 18 inches away from the furnace, it will take 1 hour. How does this sound?

Last edited by James Bond; 04-05-2011 at 10:26 PM.
James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
I recently installed a new Hi - Eff gas furnace and I noticed a whining turbine noise. I found it is the intake duct in the family room just above the furnace (I just covered it with my hands and it stopped). The contractor said he will move it 12 - 18 inches away from the furnace, it will take 1 hour. How does this sound?

Sounds like your noise will be moved 12 to 18 inches away. Usually a restricted return air by way of undersized duct will produce that whining noise. I'd make the duct bigger. You can never have too much return air so that is not a concern.

Doc Holliday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Oops, I get it now. The return grill in the room is pretty much right at the return of the unit so it's a short, short run and you are hearing the whining of the air through the unit. Yup, let him move it first and see if the noise remains first. If not then he may have to move it even further and/or make the duct longer/bigger.

Let us know what happens.
Doc Holliday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
HVAC Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
Sounds like your noise will be moved 12 to 18 inches away. Usually a restricted return air by way of undersized duct will produce that whining noise. I'd make the duct bigger. You can never have too much return air so that is not a concern.
Have the external static pressure of the system measured if it's in range you could put a cube core grill in those usually get rid of that harmonic noise you are hearing. Lots of units have high static pressure and are in need of duct modification.
Ducthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Depending on the grille. May just need the vanes adjusted for a larger opening. other wise it may work like Doc holiday said, and just be making noise 12 to 18" further a way.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #6

A friend of mine had the same problem several years ago. I removed the return grille and snipped off every other louver to allow more air flow. Problem solved and it looked good also.
kb3ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #7

Standard return air grilles are 6" high, but a 9" model is also available. You may be able to increase the opening size in the wall and reduce the velocity of the air going through that register to take away the vibration noise of the individual louvers. You may have to move the bridging in the wall up higher as well. Or when he moves the return another 18" away you could just make the register a double and that may also take the noise away and satisfy the return air requirement that must have increased with the new furnace.

HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote