New Furnace W/Coil. How Much Should Labor Be For Condenser Install? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Furnace w/Coil. How much should labor be for condenser install?

I recently purchased a how in the suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio. Part of the negotiation was they install a new furnace and coil before closing. So while it was being installed i decided to show up and ask how much to install the condenser. I was told it has to be 2.5 ton and it would cost $2800!!! The location would be maybe 15 feet away from furnace. Is this reasonable???

Advertisement

robcfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just the condenser? Seem high to me. Get at least three bids before you make any decision. I've had complete units installed for $3000, inside and out.

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #3

I thought that seemed really high. All that has to be done is install the condenser, w/line set and electrical. i may run the electrical myself. thanks for the help
robcfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

seems a little hi..... every area has different prices.... get more quotes
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 620

depends on how many staples there are on the condenser box.

I can tell you that the last 4 I have had installed were for connecting the lineset and testing/operating only and I was charged between 144 and 200.

I took all the staples out of the condenser box myself, and I think that is where the big money is. That, and I lifted it up on the slab and hooked up the electricity and thermostat wires.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
depends on how many staples there are on the condenser box.

I can tell you that the last 4 I have had installed were for connecting the lineset and testing/operating only and I was charged between 144 and 200.

I took all the staples out of the condenser box myself, and I think that is where the big money is. That, and I lifted it up on the slab and hooked up the electricity and thermostat wires.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Depends on the brand, of course, and the market you're in. Around here that would be slightly on the high side, but if they're installing one of the high end Trane or Carrier units then it wouldn't be too bad.

Quote:
I can tell you that the last 4 I have had installed were for connecting the lineset and testing/operating only and I was charged between 144 and 200
Did you have an actual HVAC company out to do this, or was this done by someone on the side? I can't imagine anyone who runs a business doing that sort of work for those prices.
scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottmcd9999 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
HVAC Tech/Owner

Rewards Points: 350

Unfortunately in this industry there are many people who get by on cheap and think they are getting the same quality job as NOT CHEAP. Basically, you can find some moron to give you an excellent price that "you can't pass up"

however.....a good leak check and vacuum takes time....ya think the cheap guy is gonna spend the extra time? Doing a job integrated with the house with attention to detail takes time....is the cheap guy gonna take the time to do a little extra to make the job look and work good? What corners is he going to cut?

I got out of new construction 10 years ago.....I met a builder on one of his jobs done by the lowest quality contractor in our area (they keep sending their foreman out on warranty calls till the homeowner just gives up)...I explained how my company does a far superior job.....the builder said "you can do my next house if you match his price" Why would I spend an extra day doing quality work and use better materials for the same pay this moron gets? it isn't gonna happen....

so to the OP...I don't know if thats a good price or not-I haven't seen the job, don't know how much work is required to adapt the new unit to your house....new plenums?, tight installation? If this job is being paid for by the sellers.....it's probably the cheapest moron they can find

Last edited by Technow; 07-19-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technow View Post
, you can find some moron to give you an excellent price that "you can't pass up"
Why would I spend an extra day doing quality work and use better materials for the same pay this moron gets? ....it's probably the cheapest moron they can find

I take it you own your own business. Nothing you can do about the competition except be better than them. Somebody will always be cheaper than you. But word of mouth is worth more than any other tactic. Do it right and at a fair price and you will be around when they are long gone.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #10

I believe in good work, but there are some hvac contractors out there using their license to steal. My wife has a friend on facebook that paid $279 to have a bad capacitor replaced.

$2800 is steep but contractors get it all the time. I'd do it for less than half.
Binkstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkstir View Post
I believe in good work, but there are some hvac contractors out there using their license to steal. My wife has a friend on facebook that paid $279 to have a bad capacitor replaced.

$2800 is steep but contractors get it all the time. I'd do it for less than half.
Hmmm. I just installed a 2.5 ton condense. My cost on the condenser was 1200 bucks. So you would install it for $1,399.99

OP. Get other estimates. You may be in a higher cost of living area. And your prices will be much higher then those in low cost of living areas.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #12

My prices of 144 and 200 were from regular hvac companies. I think they'll do a service call for $65.

Did I mention I also disposed of the box? I don't have any EPA certification, I just put it in my recycling container.

It doesn't take too long to braze the lines and do a vacuum check. I think the guy was around for about 2 hours.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Hmmm. I just installed a 2.5 ton condense. My cost on the condenser was 1200 bucks. So you would install it for $1,399.99
"my cost"? Are you a contractor? My cost on a 2.5 ton Condord Lennox clone is $461.00 after tax. If someone told you $1200 was wholesale they lied. http://aqairandheat.com/2012/03/1250...r-replacement/
Binkstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
My cost on a 2.5 ton Condord Lennox clone is $461.00 after tax
I can barely buy a 2.5 ton Copeland Scroll for that price!

If you're buying that thing for $461 out the door, that's a helluva deal. My cost on a somewhat comparable R-22 dry ship unit is more than double that, and for a Rheem/Ruud dry ship it's a fair amount more than that! Granted I don't install the "Concord" or other bottom tier brands (I gave up on installing el-cheapo stuff long ago), but that is definitely a a very, very cheap price.

Quote:
My prices of 144 and 200 were from regular hvac companies.
That's a heckuva price. Did that also include refrigerant? Assuming this is an R-22 system, of course, those may have been dry-ship units if they were installed in the last year or two. Pricing also depends on the area you live in. I'm in a mid-sized city (Augusta, GA) and our costs are quite a bit lower than companies in larger cities like Atlanta, GA, and quite a bit higher than some of the rural areas surrounding us. It's all relative ...
scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #15

Those units were shipped with refrigerant in them. Our prices here are less expensive in the metro areas than in the rural areas. It is difficult to get a metro guy to drive 40 miles out of town, especially if it is on the wrong side of town for him.

Advertisement

Tags
central ac unit , condenser , cost of installation , labor costs , new condenser install