Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New furnace needed - replace A/C as well?

Thanks in advance for advice.

I need to replace my 25y/o furnace and am considering the Lennox SLP98. However, the sales person said I should also replace my 14y/o A/C unit with an XC14 because the "A" shaped coil would reduce air flow and efficiency. Is this true or just an up-sell? The new A/C would be ~16 SEER vs 10 SEER for the old one.

escapehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapehatch View Post
the sales person said I should also replace my 14y/o A/C unit with an XC14 because...
...because at 14 years you're on borrowed time. The work to replace the coil outright might be less bother than trying to not damage the old coil while installing the new furnace.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
escapehatch (04-04-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,528

And what coil is he suggesting he will use. The XC is a condenser designation. All A/C coils reduce air flow. A new coil may even be more restrictive then the old coil is. Ask him what type/configuration the new coil will be.

A coil.
N coil.
W coil.
Slant coil.
Slab coil.
escapehatch (04-04-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
And what coil is he suggesting he will use. The XC is a condenser designation. All A/C coils reduce air flow. A new coil may even be more restrictive then the old coil is. Ask him what type/configuration the new coil will be.

A coil.
N coil.
W coil.
Slant coil.
Slab coil.
Thanks. I can't seem to find any info about the evaporator coil except that it says it is "upgraded". The way he explained it is that the existing coil may be installed in a way that reduces airflow (cross supports, etc) whereas the new one is designed to work with the furnace. The existing coil may also be clogged/dirty, he said. It is installed well above the furnace whereas the new one will be right on top the new furnace.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,658

He is on a commission and trying to upsell you. If it is high up then when they pull the old furnace out you or they can clean it and make sure you have a shopvac or long enough centralvac hose and some brushes handy as installers don't always have them. Type of coil does not matter plus that furnace has a high performance blower which can compensate for some extra restriction. XC 14 is 14 SEER but the ECM furnace motor adds 1 SEER to the pkg as it saves electricity. Your 10 SEER is now a 11 SEER pkg with it. SEER depends on the BTU size of the unit and type of coil matchup etc so the XC14 may be a 14.2 SEER and he is rounding it up to sound better.

Last edited by yuri; 04-03-2013 at 10:56 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
escapehatch (04-04-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,528

I've cleaned more then one existing coil while hanging out the furnace only. In reality, the coil being raised off the furnace provides better air flow then if its mounted on the furnace.

The choice is yours. but there is no real need to change the A/C just because its 14 years old. Won't hurt to change it out. Of course, if your electric rates aren't high. might want to consider getting a heat pump instead of straight A/C. that will save you money year round.
escapehatch (04-04-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

also depends where you live and how much it has been used in the 14 yrs. In Florida they can wear them out in 10-15 yrs from constant running whereas in a colder area it can easily last 20-25 yrs.
escapehatch (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #8

Thanks all. I've decided there is no need to replace the a/c at this time. I met with another company who made no mention of it except that they would clean the coil when replacing the furnace. I live in Toronto.

Also, he suggested the Carrier "Performance" TPA5 without variable speed motor. I have an older house which was converted from hot water heating years ago, so apparently my duct work is "marginal" and the blower would not push the air up into the second floor with the variable speed fan. He seemed to know my house type. Suprisingly he suggested not to get a humidifier (house is leaky enough), a 3" filter and a regular looking Honeywell t-stat. Definetely not up-selling, but the Carrier is more expensive than the Lennox.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

you should consider a variable speed fan so, the furnace can run continuously on low speed during cooling mode. This provides constant circulation to move the cold air more evenly throughout the house. I would guess that you normally have it too cold in basement...variable temps on ground floor and too hot on second floor with your existing unit. If so, running on continuous low will help a lot. This mode can also be used during heating if you have cold spots in parts of the house.

This can be set up with the new furnace to run in this mode via the thermostat.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to techpappy For This Useful Post:
escapehatch (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
Hvac Pro

I think he may be slightly low balling you ( trying to keep the price down so he beats his competitors and gets the job ). The variable speed fan will definetly get the air upstairs but if your ductwork is small can sometimes get cranky and not work properly as it does not like excess ductwork resistance. Not sure why he would not sell a humidifier and if you need it then insist on one. Rest of the deal sounds OK. Lennox and Carrier are equal priced where I am but are the higher end more expensive units but quieter and you get what you pay for.
escapehatch (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Did you ever say where you are from, or how much your AC system has been used? I did not see that in any of your posts. How can anybody give you advice regarding a Climate Control system when they do not know what Climate you are in?????

I can see a real possibility of refusal of coverage under warranty if you couple an old evaporator coil to a new furnace that was designed with a different coil in mind.

I go by Murphy was an optimist. If I did this, my AC would go down the week after I installed the new furnace, and i would have to get the guys back in the change out the old AC at twice the original cost it would have been to replace it with the furnace.

Also, I have been reading about the problems that people seem to have with blower motors other than the plain old, single speed type. To me, simpler is better. When you need heat, you need heat. If your furnace goes down because it is too complicated, what good is it?

In reading these posts, the quality of parts is going down the tubes. Poor quality off-shore made parts assembled by people that take no pride in their work, coupled with complicated, experimental design is a lose-lose to me, I don't know about you other guys.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
escapehatch (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Hvac Pro

He lives in Toronto ( in his post ). AC will last 20 yrs there. Furnaces are not designed with a coil type in mind and it is impossible to void a warranty because of that. They were trying to sell him a Lennox box coil which sits directly on top of the furnace and works no different than an A coil. Easier to install and fits better in lower ceiling applications but has no influence on the unit or sale just the guy's commission. You usually save about $500 buy buying a pkg unless Lennox has their Summer promotion in which case they may offer the next tier unit for the same price or some such deal. Simpler can be better but in some special cases like humidity removal in Florida a ECM motor can be slowed down better and do a much better job and saves quite a bit of electricity and in some places that is a huge deal. Also very good for continuos fan and making the house more comfy by getting rid of dead air spots. Not everyone is poor and some people want better climate control and can certainly afford the repairs etc.

Last edited by yuri; 04-04-2013 at 11:37 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (08-10-2013), escapehatch (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Thanks Yuri. I did not see his location. Sorry OP. I have an older carrier furnace with a single speed motor and run the blower pretty much all the time, just to even things out and continuously filter the air. My feeling is that if a fancy variable speed motor goes up, I just blew any savings I would have had in my electricity bill for a few years, but I could be wrong, Im sure. The way I see it is the more moving parts, and more components you have, the more likely you are to have a failure, Ceteris paribus

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Thanks Yuri. I did not see his location. Sorry OP. I have an older carrier furnace with a single speed motor and run the blower pretty much all the time, just to even things out and continuously filter the air. My feeling is that if a fancy variable speed motor goes up, I just blew any savings I would have had in my electricity bill for a few years, but I could be wrong, Im sure. The way I see it is the more moving parts, and more components you have, the more likely you are to have a failure, Ceteris paribus
You're definitely right that if that motor burns up you've spent any savings you got from the variable speed motor. I usually don't sell them for efficiency. I usually sell them for noise reduction & comfort level. If you're willing to spend the money to get a quieter unit & one that may provide a bit better comfort then the variable speed is a good option. If you're looking at it to save money on your bills I'd recommend spending the money elsewhere like a heat pump, higher efficiency furnace etc.
JScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JScotty For This Useful Post:
escapehatch (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
Hvac Pro

Ceteris paribus, now we are going Latin?
Ipso facto, rootska tootska?

Oy Vey

Last edited by yuri; 04-04-2013 at 02:34 PM.