Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

Share |

New Furnace Installation

I need a new furnace. I have been given four quotes. They all meet the Fed Tax Credit 95% efficiency requirement. I had a Carrier 58SX 90% for almost 23 years. Installation should not be that big of deal (PVC there). I had a new door installed that will use $600 of my tax credit so I have $900 remaining. First quote is a LUXAIRE 95% installed for $1800 before tax credit (minus tax credit = $1270). The second quote was for a LENNOX 95% for $2900 before tax credit (minus tax credit = $2030).. The third quote for the Carrier 95% was for $4200 (this guy had 4 rebates and tax credits he thinks I could get) after rebates and tax credits says it would be $2400. I do not trust this guy. The fourth guy gave me a Carrier 95% quote of $3500 before tax credit (minus tax credit = $2600).. I really like this forum and respect the input people submit. It seems like all the manufactures above have equal amount of unhappy customers. Which furnace would you recommend?? thanks for any input.

otismyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

New Furnace Installation

I think the Luxaire sounds suspicous. Usually most quotes should be within $500 of each other. Too great a spread there. Sounds too good to be true. Lennox and Carrier units don't change very much in 6-8 yrs. Luxaire is York/Coleman or some other rebranded units from what I have heard. I believe you get what you pay for. Which Lennox model is it? I would stay with Lennox first and then Carrier. Rebranded units tend to be impossible to get parts for 15 yrs down the road, especially circuit boards. Lennox and Carrier are two of the best for getting parts for their units after 20 yrs from my experience. I would be careful about using 23 yr old PVC venting. It may be the wrong length, have too many elbows and I don't believe it is safe, gets brittle so I would have it replaced. Illegal to re-use venting where I am.

Last edited by yuri; 09-28-2009 at 09:15 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #3

New Furnace Installation

The PVC runs only approx. 6 feet from the furnace to the outside wall. I do not see any discoloring, cracking or soot at either end. I will have the installer double check everything. The LENNOX is the G61 model. I do not have the model for the LUXAIRE, but I am going to the wholesale place tomorrow to look at it. LUXAIRE web site has multiple models that could be 95%. The CARRIER was the Infinity Model. The LUXAIRE does sound to cheap...I will find out more tomorrow. I also want to make my decision on how easy they are to work on. How good is the controller board diagnostics pointing out where faults etc. I pulled up the Carrier Infinty Service Manual yesterday and it was pretty impressive. It had all the fault codes and expanded on how to troubleshoot each. The best I every seen from a manufacture (but what do I know). thanks for your input.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #4

New Furnace Installation

Last I heard the tax credit was a max of 30% of the purchase price up to $1500.

You sure you got the info right?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #5

New Furnace Installation

I had a Anderson Door Wall installed ($2000) and I will use $600 (30% of $2000 is $600) of $1500 allowable. That leaves me $900 max for the furnace. To get the max credit for the furnace install I would have to spend $3000 (30% of $3000 is $900). At least that is how I see it...is this wrong???
Old 09-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #6

New Furnace Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
Last I heard the tax credit was a max of 30% of the purchase price up to $1500.

You sure you got the info right?
Otis is correct. The tax credit is a max. combined $1,500 and he has already used $600 on his door portion.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:32 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

New Furnace Installation

He can spread it across 2 years.

Should talk to a tax accountant to find out how to do it.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #8

New Furnace Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Air Direct View Post
Otis is correct. The tax credit is a max. combined $1,500 and he has already used $600 on his door portion.

My bad. I misread his post. Thought he was saying he was getting back a couple thou in tax credt.

I hate getting old, first the eye sight goes than you turn to dusst and blow away like a Christopher Lee movie
Old 09-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

New Furnace Installation

The Carrier is their TOP line unit and is a very nice but very complicated and expensive unit to repair. A previous poster biggerjim is looking at a $1000 ventor fan at under 10 yrs old and is real unhappy about it. It has a lot of bells and whistles and capabilities. The Lennox G71 is the equivalent but a very complicated unit to troubleshoot and not DIY friendly. The G61 is a good moderate Buick type rather than the Cadillac. Fairly user friendly for a DIYer and I can talk you thru any issue with it. Has been around for 7 yrs. Parts are very reasonable as compared to the Carrier. I like the Carrier but it is expensive to fix. Lennox has an excellent troubleshooting manual and parts are available from Cozyparts.com. Carrier may be hard to get parts for/may need to buy them from a dealer. There are MINIMUM venting requirements for newer units and your 6 feet is probably too short.

Hope this helps
Old 09-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #10

New Furnace Installation

Hey Yuri, we all know that since Nordyne released it's 97.5% modulating furnace it's got Carrier and Lennox running scared cause the engineers took the KISS system approach. Carrier and Lennox are always trying to prove how innovative they are and all the latest stuff needs three rocket scientists to put in a screw.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #11

New Furnace Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
He can spread it across 2 years.

Should talk to a tax accountant to find out how to do it.
I believe the $1500 is a lifetime max so it won't matter if he spreads it over 2009/2010.
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #12

New Furnace Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
I believe the $1500 is a lifetime max so it won't matter if he spreads it over 2009/2010.
Correct, total is for the entire 2 years, not per year
You can use part one year, then the rest the next year
Maybe that that is what Been meant
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #13
Hvac Pro

New Furnace Installation

Clover you got to understand, if only a few specialized techs can do the work then I(we) have more work and $$. Got to look out for number #1, car manufacturers figured that out years ago. Too bad Nordyne is not popular here or I could see that unit.

Last edited by yuri; 09-29-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #14

New Furnace Installation

Canadian Standards is mad at Nordyne cause they exceeded their specs.

The minister got pissy and banned Nordyne from Canada.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #15

New Furnace Installation

I leaning towards the Luxaire. Here are my reasons:

I went to the Luxaire Supply House and looked at the 9S series. I was not that impressed with the sensors and inducer housing (looked like cheap plastic). The salesman gave me his pitch no big deal. I was impressed with the clear plastic cover for the lower heat exchanger, for you can monitor the condesation flow. No more taking tubes off to see if there is blockage (good engineering). Lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger. The top heat exchanger is made out of tubular aluminum and the lower one is stainless steel. Lifetime Heat Exchanger Warranty and 5 years parts.

<LI class=SmallRedSquare>95.5% AFUE maximized fuel efficiency <LI class=SmallRedSquare>Compact 33" tall cabinet fits easily into tight spaces <LI class=SmallRedSquare>ENERGY STAR designated to save you up to 25% on energy bills <LI class=SmallRedSquare>Single-Stage heat provides constant, uniform operation throughout heating cycle
<LI class=SmallRedSquare>Constant speed blower motor quietly delivers heated air throughout the homeNot a bad furnace for roughly $1300 installed after tax credit.

I then went a seen the Lennox thinking that might be my choice. I looked at the G61V. Although it has varible speed motor and some other bells and whistles, the sensors and blower housing looked no better than the Luxaire. The heat exhangers are Duralok Plus Armor Tuf steel (warranty limited lifetime) and five year on parts. Cost would be $2030 after tax credit.

Then I thought where will we be with heating systems in 10 years. Fuel Cells...I know Honda and others want to sell you the Car and Home energy fuel cells in the future. I am not sure I really need this system to last 20 years, for it may be obsolete in 10. What do you think?