DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New Furnace Install

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Doc Holliday 
#1 ·
I am installing a new gas upflow furnace which has an existing cased coil above the old furnace. The new furnace is shorter than the old one. I am looking for advice on how to remove the old furnace without damaging or disconnecting the cased coil. Do I need to lift the cased coil to get it above the lip on the furnace? The cased coil is actually wider than the existing furnace. My plan is to raise the new furnace off the ground the 12 inches to make up the difference in furnace sizes and relocate the filter housing up to the height of the new furnace. Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 ·
We use metal hanging strap and after the coil is loose from the furnace, and this is in vertical closet applications where there is attic above the coil or the entire unit is in an attic and assuming you have flex duct so the coil, plenum and ducts can give a little, lift the coil and strap it up and away from the furnace by screwing the strap to the edge of the coil (or strap to the metal plenum preferrabely which is on top of the coil and should be screwed tightly to the coil so it would lift the coil as well, one piece essentially) and to a roof joist, one strap on each side of the coil/plenum. All you'll need is an inch of lift.

You will more than likely need an extra hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.